What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagating Mexican Pinguicula

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
This question was recently asked of me and I thought perhaps others may have the same question in their minds, so I make a stab at answering it here:

Growth of newly formed propagules varies greatly depending on the environment they are given.

Most often I produce crops of tiny new plantlets and let them stay small (needing no attention and little space) until I am ready to have them grow-up. For me the easiest way to get them to gro<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>W</span> is to transplant them into new media that contains a quantifiable, yet low level of nutrients, be sure the media is moist but not wet, seal them in a ziploc bag to ensure moisture levels stay nearly constant, and place them under fluorescent lights for at least 16 hours/day. They usually start sizing-up very quickly with this treatment.

Thanks I will try that, its only been like four months now. And its still only got 4 leaves.

I've been having good success with sprouting them in ziplock bags, in slightly damp media, on an east window sill. The funny thing is that I got my advice from Wicked Thistle, who credits Pyro who credits Pinguiculaman. Somehow artificial lighting became substituted with east window sill.

Thanks for the tip. I've had trouble with P. gigantea; it seems change size sporadically. Would you treat it the same way?

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubra @ July 03 2006,7:12)]Thanks for the tip. I've had trouble with P. gigantea; it seems change size sporadically. Would you treat it the same way?

Peter
Yes, it does work, even with Pinguicula gigantea. Another thing I do, especially for Pinguicula gigantea and Pinguicula agnata. That is to use perlite/pumice that has been premoistened and dusted with iron oxide powder, before adding it to the mix. This seems to help to reduce the chlorosis (yellowing of leaves).

Thanks, I'll try that. Do you buy some kind of iron oxide, or will any old rust do?

Peter

I buy, and use, that sold in approximately 98% purity, as a powder, for use in ceramic glazes.

Back