Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mexican Pinguicula hybrid seedlings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following are two images taken this morning, 7Jul06 of 2 inch pots of hybrid seedlings. One is the cross Pinguicula gigantea x Pinguicula moctezumae and the other is Pinguicula moctezumae x Pinguicula gigantea. Both parents were pollinated at the same time, by swapping pollen between the two parents. The seed did not mature at the same rate, but almost a month apart, Pinguicula gigantea x Pinguicula moctezumae seed matured a month later. I sowed them at the same time, once both were mature, and they began germinating at nearly the same time.

I will soon give them more room by transplanting them in groups into community pots of about 5 plants each, using a dissecting needle.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

And that's why he's called Pinguiculaman.

Interesting experiment. Do you expect them to have different characteristics once mature? I didn't know that the plants would change depending on which plant pollinated and which received.

Zac
    "You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public" -Scott Adams-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some plants and animals have DNA associated with their cytoplasm, located in organelles other than the nucleus. This genetic material can only be transferred from the maternal parent, hence it can, and often does make a difference which parent is used to carry the seed, -vs- contribute the pollen. Pollen only contributes nuclear DNA.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know and thanks for the information. I guess I should've thought about that a little more. I just wasn't aware that the DNA from organelles (only mitochondria? Or are there other significant genetic organelles?) would have a significant impact on any observable characteristics. Is rate-of-growth the main factor here or will there be visible differences?

Zac
    "You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public" -Scott Adams-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm certainly no expert, but I've read of proplastids and mitochondria as being organelles that can contribute DNA. I can't even say for certain that Pinguicula are a plant group that have this method of passing genetic material in this manner. But observation of these groups of reciprocal crosses can help answer this question. Right now I can't answer your question, but I do notice that though I quite regularly attempt reciprocal crosses, most usually viable seed is only produced in one direction and not the reciprocal. This could be an indication of cytoplasmic inheritance in action, among other things.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Joseph! I've been working on something similar except its P. gigantea x 'Aphrodite'. I guess I didn't do as good a job of pollinating though because I only came up with one pod and 30 seeds. Nevertheless the plants are about the size of a quarter and so far they don't look like P. gigantea except for the glands under the leaves. It'll be fun to compare our plants as they mature. Keep it up!

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Peter, sounds like an interesting cross! Any chance you can bring some seedlings to the next LACPS meeting?
    Peter
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like I'm being stalked Yeah, I'll probably bring some if they look like anything. How about some pictures of your own plants Peter?
    the cellist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast