What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help my pings

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
My mexican pings have been doing well for months. They are in a covered tray with shallow water on a grow rack in the garage. They get 14 hours of light from 2 4' double bulb shop lights. Temps have been ranging from 75 - 98 F.
I go on vacation for 10 days and when I return BAM my moranensis is rotted to the ground, 2 agnata mixes have lost leaves and seem to have some rot, the John Rizzi seem OK, but have lost a few leaves and the ehlersai is doing great.
I have removed the cover, sprayed them with Cleary, but the 3 affected pings seem to be getting worse.

Help

Definitely removing the cover is a step on the right direction. Recent expereince with having my collection outside and beng drowned by rain, leading to rot, scattering of leaves, and ruining the only 3 flowers I had, led me to conclude that they can't take being submerged for any length of time and they can go downhill real fast. They really seem to do well, either with artificial lighting or window sill lighting. Too much water or humidity seems to do them in.

I would dry the media out a bit and take as many leaf cuttings as possible.

I recently left my plants on their own for 6 days. The week before I left I watered everything frequently to make sure the soil in the pots was as wet as possible. The day I left I brought my outdoor plants inside, except for my N. ventricosa which I left out hanging from the apple tree. I gave everything a good watering makeing sure the trays were full of water. When I got back, the plants were all in good shape, including me cephalotus leaf cutting. None of my plants are covered.

water + heat + cover = ideal conditions for ping rot. You certainly don't need to cover your Pinguicula, though cuttings and seedlings normally grow faster if you do. Ideally you could let the plants acclimate a little as you take off the cover, but that shouldn't be a problem. Maybe try letting the tray dry out between waterings. Pings love warmth and moisture but so does fungus, so just find some system that encourages the plants without inviting rot. Good luck!

Peter

Back