What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Root hairs on P. 'Sethos'

Maybe I'm the last one to notice this, but when I pulled up a particulartly healthy P. 'Sethos' for cuttings the other day, I was surprised to find robust roots complete with root hairs. Up till now I've only seen the wiry anchor roots on mexican Pinguicula. I wonder if this means the plant would make good use of nutrients added to the soil. Here's pic I snapped as the root hairs quickly whithered in the 90+ degree shade.

71006042tl5.jpg

Peter

Hi Peter...nice photo. Root hairs are pretty interesting structures. There is an association between these structures and mycorhizae that would probably benefit the plant in habitat...the fungi provides nitrogen while benefitting from the sugars the plant produces. Lately I've noticed a definite relationship concerning the white fungus in my terrarium and accelerated plant growth...when the white stuff appears the plants go crazy. Root hairs is where it happens. I've even innoculated some of my pots with the fungi since it seems to really get things going. I never noticed the hairs on my own pings so thanks for the photo.

Back