0 Thread(s)
    Here is another picture taken this morning:

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, very nice pics. I started quite a few gypsys from pullings this spring and they have all produced their winter leaves.Is this the time to repot them or maybe wait til later this winter? How many years do they usually take to mature?

Thanks,
    Mark W.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Man, very nice pics. I started quite a few gypsys from pullings this spring and they have all produced their winter leaves.Is this the time to repot them or maybe wait til later this winter? How many years do they usually take to mature?

Thanks,
    Mark W.
    Changing their potting can be done any time - I have found the most critical factor in success and their continued health is light, strong light, which is easier for me to provide while using artificial fluorescent lighting.

These are approximately 6-8 months since I started them from leaf pullings.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Changing their potting can be done any time - I have found the most critical factor in success and their continued health is light, strong light, which is easier for me to provide while using artificial fluorescent lighting.

These are approximately 6-8 months since I started them from leaf pullings.
    Hello Joseph,

It is really great plant !
    May I know what will be the maximum tolerant temperature of this plant & what will be the distance between the plant and the artificial fluorescent lighting ?

Thanks !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by norns View Post
    Hello Joseph,

It is really great plant !
    May I know what will be the maximum tolerant temperature of this plant & what will be the distance between the plant and the artificial fluorescent lighting ?

Thanks !
    I'm not certain how much cold this species can tolerate, mine are often down to approximately 40F through the Winter, and the high can sometimes get near 100F on some sunny Summer days. I try to keep the plants as close to the cool-white fluorescent lights as I possibly can without having them touch the lights, but sometimes flower stalks grow too quickly and get damaged when they touch the lights. I give the plants about 14 hours of light in each 24 hour day, but sometimes I give them 16 hours of light or even 24 hours (lights on always), the more light I give them the better the plants look. In my experience they shift from Winter leaf form to Summer leaf form, almost randomly, some will be in either form at any time of the year even while growing in the same trays and under the same conditions.

Sometime in June 2007, just after we returned from our vacation in California that same month, after everything seemed fine, we began to have some health issues crop up unexpectedly -- this continued until just recently (hope this statement doesn't inspire their return). Anyway during this time I was forced to neglect caring for my plants. I lost many, though not any Mexican Pinguicula. Even though I usually like to keep all my Pinguicula soaking in water, year-'round, this time they have been totally dry for almost six months. The Pinguicula gypsicola in the photos posted here are examples of plants that inadventently received this drying out treatment, BTW they are still dry while I am taking these photos.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OFF TOPIC,
    Hey there Joseph, so glad to see that you haven't dropped off the end of the earth.
    Email me please. let's catch up
    Your gypsicola are outstanding.
    Lois
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Joseph,6-8 months old !!! Mine are easily 6 months and I have 3 in 2" pots. Maybe I need to feed them more often.Now that most of them are in their winter leaves is it still ok to feed them the freeze-dried bloodworms?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Joseph
    Then I will give her more and more light to see .

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast