What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plantae777

Pinguiphile
Greetings all,

As part of my Horticulture education at Penn State University, I will be performing a study of pinguicula species and hybrid propagation via traditional and tissue culture methods on varying substrate(s) and substrate composition respectively. I plan the study as follows:

(Look at my growlist to see the pings to be used in the study, I hope to use all, however this might not prove to be possible.)

Leaf pullings will be placed in small propagation trays (actually chinese takeout containers but boy do they work well) on;

Long fibered spaghnum
Perlite
Vermiculite
peat
possibly a combination of the above media though that is to be determined

Any suggestions for other media to test?

I will grow the parent pings and leaf pullings in a greenhouse under MH lights with cappilary matting for irrigation. (DW of course)

Concurrently, leaves of all representative pings will be placed into tissue culture to compare efficacy of propagation as well as trueness to type(DNA analysis on propagules and parents to be performed.) Media recipe will be the same as reported by Adams, Koenigsberg, and Lanhans 1979, though I won't be doing the high salt treatment they performed since that will just mean dead pings as they showed.

I hope to see that TC produces the highest number of plantlets, but also has a higher incidence of mutation. From there I hope to determine the optimal media for "traditional" propagation.

I know that many members have their own methods for propagation and cultivation so if you would like to share methods, ideas, stories, conjectures or otherwise, I will be sure to acknowledge both your contribution as well as terraforums for providing this message board.

I look forward to your results! Hey, how about using sponge filter as a medium or the the foam that computers are packed with?

Sounds like a gr8 experiment.
I have used Horticultural sand with mixed results, mainly because other people were watering (over or under).them.
The sand does keep down the amount of moss taht so willingly grows on other media. Thanx for lsitenign and keep 'em plants growin'
Lois

What? Nobody has suggested coir (coconut fiber)? Come on you guys get with the program and have someone suggest coir.

Um, use coir!

Wonder why I suggested that.... ? ? ?

I will give you my input here. This post is just a placekeeper. I will update it with edits once I have a little more time to compose my response.

I use some pretty radical medias that might be good to try

Crushed coral
pine bark mulch (Natures Helper brand from Home Depot)
orchid bark
Rock wool cubes
clay pellets

While I'm one of the last people to provide input on Pings, a quick perusal of your growlist didn't appear to show any of the domestic temperate species. Isn't that a pretty large hole for a study on Ping propagation?

Right you are! I do have a couple specimens of primuliflora, I will make sure to put that into the pool of test plants. At this point I am still designing the experiment and procuring bench space as well as applying for additional funding.

Media to be used:

Hort sand
Perlite
Vermiculite
peat
LFS
Rockwool
Coir
Crushed coral sounds intriguing however I don't have a readily available source
Hydroton (clay aggregate)
Floral Foam

Just make sure you rinse out the coir. Since it coconut husks its FULL of salt.

Do Pings propigate in the water tray method like dews do? I'm stil new to pings so these are just ideas I am throwing out. If I think of anything else I will add it later. Godluck with your experiment!

Back