What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. 'Sethos' x P. gypsicola

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
I received my start of this clone in trade with Pyro. Thank you Pyro.

Sethos_x_gypsicola_1.jpg

Curious how I produced about a dozen divisions of this same clone, yet only 2 of them have grown this large, the others have remained about 2 inches across and have yet to flower. This one is in a mix of 1/2 perlite and 1/2 vermiculite, the perlite was lightly coated with iron oxice powder while it was damp and before mixing.

That's the second time I've seen you refer to your soil mix with iron oxide, so I have to ask. Do you know what it does for the plant? Just curious, I have not seen this practice referred to anywhere else. I do have the slow development issue with many of my clones so I'll try it--

I was having quite a bit of chlorosis (weak, pale, yellowish leaves), often a sign of lack of iron. Since my plants are indoors, they get little actual prey (natural source of iron), so I tried adding a little Iron oxide by lightly dusting a tiny amount of powdered Iron oxide onto the leaves of a few afflicted plants, then washing it into the root zone with a light spritz of water. This appeared to reduce or eliminate the problem, so I expanded to adding some to the media, now, chlorosis seems to be nearly eliminated on those plants so treated.

I had inferred from your other post mentioning the iron that you credit it with accelerated development of leaf clones.(?) Do you think it plays a role there at all? I have never had trouble with chlorosis but I do have some very slow developing clones often. And I very often encounter what you mentioned where one identical clone grows much faster than another in the same pot or same conditions.

The iron may well play a role, but I can't say for sure. My current procedure is to mix dried insect dust, with Trichoderma harzianum inoculum and a little Iron oxide powder, then I sprinkle a light coating into the planting hole before inserting the plant. Later I periodically dust the leaves lightly with the same mixture and then gently mist to moisten the dust and plant together (ensures good contact). This seems to inspire strong, rapid growth most of the time, careful, too much at one time can overwhelm the smaller plants -
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Joseph, where do you obtain your Trichoderma harzianum inoculum and Iron oxide powder. Also what is the trichoderma? Thanks.

ALso when orchids show signs of loosing ther green we give the plants a dose of magnesium sulphate (Epson salt) 1 tsp per gallon and I have heard people say you can watch the green go back into the leaves.

Anywho I would love to find out where to purchase these ingredients. It sounds like an idea way to fertilize too.

Symbiotic fungi that "attacks" other fungi. Probably does other stuff, too.

So far the best deal I've found for Trichoderma harzianum inoculant has been at Gardener's Supply Company, search for Item #31-949 (Product called RootShield). Iron oxide is found many places, but the easiest way to obtain some is from a local ceramic supply store, it is a commonly used ingredient in ceramic glazes and a very small amount goes a long way.

Nice plant Joseph! Do you know who originally made the hybrid?

I've been using iron oxide recently thanks to your recommendation and whether or not its directly related, several plants suddenly doubled or tripled in size. Granted iron oxide is only one of many micronutrients needed for ideal growth but I guess it's important.

Peter

I'll have to hope Pyro notices this thread and responds. I received this hybrid clone from him.

what is everyone's thought on using a light solution of liquid seaweed with iron and spray it on the leaves?
Would there be too many salts in the seaweed?
Peter.

Hey Peter, we'll let you experiment and then you tell us!
smile_n_32.gif

cheers,
the other Peter

Peter, ok i'll try it on a few spare pings. I have used orchid fertilizer and sprayed it on the leaves. That seems to have worked well with no ill effects.
I did see some past threads on the subject, but it did not seem like anyone had any conclusive results!
good growing,
Peter (no, i'm the other Peter
smile_m_32.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joseph Clemens @ Sep. 15 2006,10:26)]I'll have to hope Pyro notices this thread and responds. I received this hybrid clone from him.
Hello Joseph (and all)

Glad to see the plant is doing so well for you.

I am not sure who made the plant to be honest. I got it from Vic Brown and I believe he got it form BestCP. So either BestCP bred it or someone else gave it to them.

A good looking plant regardless

Cheers

Having observed this plant for quite some time now, I still wonder how quickly those new leaves go from bent over at the tip, to sticking out straight or slightly recurved. I don't ever seem to find any that are beginning to unbend, they seem to be either bent over at the tip or not. Must happen fairly fast.

Back