He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I meant to get some photos, but have not, so far. The next time they are in active Summer growth, I will make sure that I get photos.

I have tried the coral, and aragonite as media amendments. But today I plan to use a little gypsum to see if that might be beneficial. If the gypsum inspires larger growth, once Summer leaves begin again, I will be pleased.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph, i think you're on the right track there with the gypsum idea. Perhaps you should try pure gypsum?

Check out the quote below from Noah and Forbes on their visit to Mexico:

Also, the plant habit was much more similar to the P. medusina plants we had seen than to our previous experience with P. heterophylla. But this plant couldn't be P. medusina! After all, P. medusina, as we all know, grows in Gypsum soils and is red in colour!
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, several more updates have been added to the site. More adventures by Noah and Forbes!
    Very interesting with great pics of Pings in the wild.

http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/page...es/changes.htm
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joseph,

I grow this species on pure gypsum and it reached very large diameter, many leaf plantlets.

You can also try a mix of and calcareous cat litter that you will mix with water to do like a sludge, let it dry and use it for growing your plant in putting the bulb in a hole you will manage in the media.

You water it as usual with mexican Pinguicula except that in winter I let it try to have the bulb resting few centimeters down the media.

I tryied also on organic neutral media (pH around 7)sold in garden center in France for garden flowers seedlings (I will give you the composition) it give smaller P. medusina. This media used pure is giving impressive results with "large salad like" P. moranensis complex plants. It has black peat (no peat sphagnum moss), volcanic rock, sand

Some Pinguicula can be also fan of TRUE specific cacteas media sold in garden center depending on the conditions.

Hope this will help you with P. medusina that seems to be "only" a P. heterophylla variation.
    Eric Partrat
    epbb@club-internet.fr

A WORLD OF PINGUICULA
    www.pinguicula.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Eric, you always have interesting ideas, I always like to try out your ideas and add some twists of my own.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could it pruduce a chemical like Drosophyllum does that helps to prevent growth or further growth of plants of the same species around it in order to help conserve water?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only just tripped over this article. I too have the plant (I think maybe I gave Joseph his original but I may be mistaken.) It is a good grower for me but like Joseph I have not really gotten good growth until recently. This year it has kicked into higher gear though, It is still only about nickle diameter but that is because the leaves are growing straight up, each leaf is 2.5-3" long though.

My media is a bit quirky, basically equal parts crushed coral and pine bark mulch though there is a small portion of perlite and maybe some charcoal in there...
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12