What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this guy normal looking?

Here are some pics:

dscn2442.jpg

dscn2443.jpg

dscn2446.jpg

I tried to pollinate it with a tooth pick, and I thought I got some pollen, but I'm not even sure if this flower is "ready" yet. Can anyone tell if there is even and pollen there? A quick reply would be nice since I don't know if I screwed this flower up horribly.

-Ben

Heh, whoops, I checked UNDER the stigma, and there they were, I've pollinated it!!! WOOT! I just hope I didn't destroy the flower too much...

-Ben

It will be ok, and besides, there will be plenty of flowers in the spring

Do P. caerulea flowers close every night like how P. primuliflora does?

Ben,
Excellent photographs. Good work.

Thanks. Hopefully these photos will help clear up where the "parts" of a flower are, since a lot of people are confused on how to pollinate pings. I can take a pic of the anthers later, too.

Well, the stigma pad seems to have turned kinda more white now, instead of a pinkish color. Plus, it's also shriveling a little bit. I hope that means something good.

-Ben

Alright, after a whole lotta trial and error, I've managed to take a relatively ok pic of the anthers. Sorry that it's fuzzy, but it's harder than you might think to take a pic of them.

dscn2451.jpg

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Nov. 28 2006,2:02)]Alright, after a whole lotta trial and error, I've managed to take a relatively ok pic of the anthers. Sorry that it's fuzzy, but it's harder than you might think to take a pic of them.

dscn2451.jpg

-Ben
If you coat the tip of the toothpic with a black marker, then let it dry before use. It will be much easier to see if you've captured any pollen, which is white or pale yellow, and also to see if you've released it onto the stigma of the female parent.

So if it I do pollinate it successfully, when should the rest of the corolla fall off? EDIT: Well, the little purple colored part of the ovary between the filaments has turned green, which I'm hoping means that it has been fertilized.

-Ben

Yes, if pollination was successful the corolla usually drops away in a couple of days. Unfortunately, successful pollination does not always assure seed, or when seed do form, they may not even then be viable seed.
rock.gif

Hmm, these plants sure are smart with reproducing. Lol.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Nov. 27 2006,4:17)]

dscn2446.jpg
Looks like you tried to pollinate it with a eyelash! Just kidding. Ben, those pictures are amazing. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see if you get some seed. Did you self polinate it or did you have some pollen from something else? Maybe I missed that somewhere in the posts....

xvart.

Lol, thanks. I tried to self pollinate it. I think I pollinated it, and the stigma seems to have some yellow on it, plus like I said earlier, the ovary seems fatter, and the green part between the fillaments is now green and not purple. But, the remains of the corolla are still on, and the stalk has grown several inches taller, too.

-Ben

You might wish to give the remains of the corolla a gentle tug with forceps to see if it has already been released. If it comes away easily, that would be a further sign of possible success. I would be careful not to force it though. Once it is out of the way it should be easier to view the ovary for changes.

I've self-pollinated the S.E. USA Pinguicula species, and except for Pinguicula pumila (which is easy) successful seed production by self-pollination seems to be possible (I've produced many good seed by this method), but sometimes difficult. Often the seed aborts before it is viable, often it doesn't even seem to start developing. I once had a Pinguicula planifolia plant that bloomed while it was dying. I pollinated it and seed began to grow, but before it was ripe the plant expired. The seed were "green", literally, but I sowed them anyway in desperation, they all germinated and grew into healthy little plants. Quite a nice surprise.

Well, it doesn't come off easy. Arrg. Now the flowerstalk is touching the glass at the top of the tank.

-Ben

I found that they continue to bloom normally even after they are pollinated, at least P. primuliflora, and then after the petals sie off, the anthers dry up and the seed pod swells.

I sure hope that's the case.

I was just thinking, but could a post with all the pics I took be pinned so as to help people with pollination? 'Cause when I read other pollination topics for pings by searching the forum, it seemed that a lot of people had a hard time visualizing the inside of a ping flower, and these are the only photos that I know of that are of the inside of a ping flower. It's just a suggestion though.

-Ben

Ben,
I am so proud of you.
I hope to be a Ping granny soon.
Lois

Lol, thanks. And I think you may be, because today, the anthers have shriveled, while the fillaments are still 'alive', though the right fillament is beginning to shrivel a bit. And I pulled off the rest of the corolla and it came off in two pieces, but with a little difficulty, but otherwise pretty easy. Also, I'm not sure, but the ovary seems a bit larger.

-Ben

Back