Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinguicula (Pachuca) ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had this Pinguicula for quite some time. It grew and propagated easily, bloomed, and showed pale pastel colors in the foliage. I suspected it was lacking something in my culture of it. I always thought it should have darker colored leaves and be more robust. Well, finally, with the recent additions to my growing technique it is looking even better than usual. I really would like this plant to have a name, other than the place, from whence it came? Is that correct? Did it originate in, Pachuca? What species is this plant? Is it a new undescribed species?

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plant Joseph.Yes it would be nice to have more information on this and many other plants.May I ask who sent you this plant?I have one coming from a online vender.

Jerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received my start of this clone from Ed Read. Thanks Ed.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I happen to have a plant of this cultivar or species, whatever it is. I got it from Throckmoron. Maybe he can shed some light on its origins?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fernando and Markus on the CPUK Forum have verified that it is found in Pachuca and slightly North of Pachuca, and that it is another form of Pinguicula moranensis, go figure. I am hoping to discover who is responsible for its being in cultivation.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph, here is what is noted in www.pinguicula.org!
    Peter

ORIGIN AND HISTORY :

No data. The only known fact is that it is not a Pinguicula moranensis. More information will be certainly available later.

Map / LOCALISATION :

No data. According to the name, it is likely that this Pinguicula could come from the surrounding of the Sierra de Pachuca, from Mexico, state of Hidalgowhere is situated the National Park of El Chico.
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Hey Joseph,

I saw similar plants near Molango (which is not far N from Pachuca). To me this is a small form of P.moranensis, worthy maybe of subspecific status.

Check out my pics at this link:

http://www.pinguicula.org/A_world....6_1.htm

Best Wishes,
    Fernando Rivadavia
    I am more a splitter than a lumper, but I am predominantly a horticulturist and not a botanist, interested in plant taxonomy. I am perfectly happy using cultivars as the naming tool for we horticulturists, and letting the botanists use taxonomy for their own ends.

There are several images in the above link (in the quote), that show plants from Molango that certainly appear to be the plant I grow as Pinguicula sp. (Pachuca). It seems to be the opinion of Fernando Rivadavia that this is a form of Pinguicula moranensis. This is fine with me. I am looking into registering it as a cultivar.

Having many plants that are basically unnamed, really pushes the O.C.D. in me. For those who don't really care if they have one or a hundred plants with the same name, or no name at all --- try living with a little O.C.D. sometime. That'll cure ya.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel also that it is a form of P. moranensis from or close from the population in Molango but Laurent Legendre tested it genetically and noted that it is different from a P. moranensis

The article can be read here :
    LaurentLegendre 's article
    Eric Partrat
    epbb@club-internet.fr

A WORLD OF PINGUICULA
    www.pinguicula.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast