User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Pinguicula is growing all stupid....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far, for me, some Mexican Pinguicula do well with or without additional calcium added to their media. Some seem to do better with it, others seem to do better without it.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Very interesting discussion thread.

My Pinguicula "Titan" (a Booman Floral product given to me as a gift) is my first ping. As the days grew shorter this year, so did its leaves. I guessed that it was going into the dormancy that Ping. moranensis types do when their weather becomes a lot drier. So, I allow the medium to dry out pretty thoroughly between waterings now. The dormancy doesn't seem to need cold, only dryness, right?

My Titan medium is 1 part each of sphagnum peat, perlite and silica sand. But I'm thinking about transplanting it next season into 100 fine grade PrimeAgra "leca" (lightweight expanded clay aggregate). Like others, I have thought about supplementing it with calcium in some way. Gypsum sprinkled on the soil seems like a possibly good way, because it is pH neutral. (it is a salt formed of one very alkaline mineral (calcium) and one very acid mineral (sulfur) that balance each other.) I could perhaps go to White Sands here in New Mexico and gather as much as I want (the vast and deep white "sand" is pure gypsum). But, since we have a bag of it in the barn...
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (xscd @ Dec. 20 2006,8:32)]Very interesting discussion thread.

My Pinguicula "Titan" (a Booman Floral product given to me as a gift) is my first ping. As the days grew shorter this year, so did its leaves. I guessed that it was going into the dormancy that Ping. moranensis types do when their weather becomes a lot drier. So, I allow the medium to dry out pretty thoroughly between waterings now. The dormancy doesn't seem to need cold, only dryness, right?

My Titan medium is 1 part each of sphagnum peat, perlite and silica sand. But I'm thinking about transplanting it next season into 100 fine grade PrimeAgra "leca" (lightweight expanded clay aggregate). Like others, I have thought about supplementing it with calcium in some way. Gypsum sprinkled on the soil seems like a possibly good way, because it is pH neutral. (it is a salt formed of one very alkaline mineral (calcium) and one very acid mineral (sulfur) that balance each other.) I could perhaps go to White Sands here in New Mexico and gather as much as I want (the vast and deep white "sand" is pure gypsum). But, since we have a bag of it in the barn...
    BTW, I spent 6 years in NM, school in Las Cruces and a little time in Albuquerque.
    ---------
    Contrary to popular belief. NOT dormancy, just different leaf forms (heterophyllous).

I keep all of mine in trays of "water" year-round.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Joseph Clemens @ Dec. 20 2006,9:50)]
    Contrary to popular belief. NOT dormancy, just different leaf forms (heterophyllous).
    I keep all of mine in trays of "water" year-round.
    Joseph, does this mean that moranensis-parent Ping. hybrids may not need any dormancy at all? Is it not important for them to go through a dry cycle? I admit ignorance; this Ping. was given to me as a gift and is the only ping I have or have ever had any experience with.

If a moranensis-hybrid is kept moist all year, will it still change its leaf form, or will it tend to keep its broad summer leaves all year?

Thank you very much for the information.
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that various Mexican species or hybrids respond to different stimuli for producing their winter-form leaves and/or for initiating flowers.

I am saying that winter-form leaves are not hybernacula, though the plants are producing differently shaped leaves, they never stop growing, hence they are not dormant. Most will change their leaf form despite temperature, photoperiod, or moisture levels. A few will respond to a 24 hour/day photoperiod and plenty of moisture by remaining in summer-form leaf.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The P. 'Titan' that I got from you did that last year before forming a tight onion-like bulb and resting for about 1 month. Shippin must have brought on resting behavior. Its fine now and has formed a large clump.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (the great cornholio @ Dec. 29 2006,2:37)]The P. 'Titan' that I got from you did that last year before forming a tight onion-like bulb and resting for about 1 month. Shippin must have brought on resting behavior. Its fine now and has formed a large clump.
    Mine have never "rested", only produced smaller sized leaves for short periods of time, between producing larger leaves.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123