Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mexican pings forming winter rosettes

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slowly but surely, the lack of photoperiod and cooler temps of the window sills are leading to sleepy plants and some of them have leaves that look like green corn niblets. If'n those leaves break off from the plant, would they sprout in a few weeks or would they be in a stasis until the photoperiod and temps increase significantly? Or would they just rot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the heck? Sleepy plants? Mine grow more leaves, more quickly in winter leaf form then they do all summer. Many only bloom when they are in this leaf form. Why do so many insist on treating the winter leaf form of Mexican Pinguicula as a "dormancy", when it is anything but?

For me, leaf-pullings, whenever done, or with whichever leaf form are used, most always form plantlets, if given proper after-pulling care.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i pulled 20 of those darn things off my esseriana. every single one had plantlet nubbin within a week, sitting in well- soaked vermiculite. misted daily.

the parent plant is just fine, btw. its almost like those leaves arent really part of the plants self-sustaining foliage... more like uber-seeds
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow! only a week

I can't wait till my P. 'Sethos' starts it's winter rosette so I can get even more!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Meaven @ Dec. 21 2006,5:56)]i pulled 20 of those darn things off my esseriana. every single one had plantlet nubbin within a week, sitting in well- soaked vermiculite. misted daily.

the parent plant is just fine, btw. its almost like those leaves arent really part of the plants self-sustaining foliage... more like uber-seeds
    Are the at "room temp" or do you have them in significantly colder conditions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my tank is pretty much made to be perfect for highland nepenthenes. 75-80 doring the day and down to 60 to 65 at night. ultra-high humidity.

they sit way down at the bottom of the tank, so i dont think light is a huge factor
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Farmer Dave @ Dec. 21 2006,3:30)]wow! only a week

I can't wait till my P. 'Sethos' starts it's winter rosette so I can get even more!
    I have my Mexican pings spread out over 4 window sills, two in the room temp kitchen and 2 in the unheated stairway. All are SW facing. Nearly all of the ones in the unheated stairway are displaying winter rosettes. Oddly enough, the P. 'Sethos' has not done so. In slight contrast, only a few in the kitchen have formed winter rosettes. On the stairway, I have a P. moranensis huautla x ehlersiae that is on its 3 flower scape. In the kitchen, there is a P. reticulata on its second scape. I don't know enough about these plants to say rhyme or reason. All I can report are observations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in California, i have very few Pings that have formed winter rosettes. The few that have are:
    P. gypsicola, P. colimenis, P. 'Titan', P. ehlersiae.
    Otherwise there is a general slow down in growth on my other Pings.
    This week it has been in the mid 70's!! (sorry to make you jealous!)

Peter.
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast