Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: leaf pullings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks! Well i've got two of those species, and plenty of virmiculite, perlite, peat, and 'sand'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice study Paul, i guess it goes to show you that Pings are quite prolific no matter what medium, and you're probably going to have plantlets no matter what you use!

I have been experimenting with Pings, and do find that a not so wet medium is best. Otherwise i tend to get leaf rot quite easily.
    Peter.
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unlike with warm temperate pings, which seem to dry out very easily with me.

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gr8 paper/study on pings.
    Would love to see any other studies that you undertake on this genus of plants.
    Lois
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only been in this hobby for 3.5 years and have had Mexican pings for only 2.5. I have a grand total of 2 CP books and have been doing a lot of reading from them, as well as learning from the discussion forums. I have a great deal of respect from the books and the experinec of the authors, but as others have said, different authors have had success with some plants, because of their particular circumstances / climate, with their favorite soil media and favorite setups, be it open tray or greenhouses, etc.... Books are great, especially for beginners, such as myself, and provide useful guidance in a myriad of advice. But as some have shown, there are a few errors and some new techniques have been developed and a few myths dispelled and... And that's why I have the discussion forums to be an invaluable source of info.

As Joseph has said, they can flower in the winter rosette state and I happen to have a picture of one, taken this past spring:

Having said that, somewhere down the line I read that leaf pullings should be done from the non-carnivorous leaves. Okay.... I've been taking pullings from both carnivorous and non-carnivorous leaves, right along. I've tried the slightly moist media in a baggie, by an east window technique, as well as the place the leaf next to the parent plant, like a chip dip technique. They ALL work! And a few of them failed, in all four combinations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Having said that, somewhere down the line I read that leaf pullings should be done from the non-carnivorous leaves.
    I have also read many recommendations to use the winter leaves for propagation. I have used both and have had equal success with the summer leaves. Perhaps there is less likeihood of rot with winter leaves?
    I usually use the middle of the rosette leaves. Those that are not too new or too old.

Happy propagating!
    Peter.
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12