What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagation, leaf-pulling notes

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
There is one point I believe that I have not gotten into yet, when it comes to propagating Mexican species and hybrids by leaf-pullings. I'm sure I have hinted at this, but I really haven't given the subject this much emphasis. The emphasis that I give it myself by my actual propagation technique and efforts.

I am very keen on propagating these plants. If I am transplanting mature plants, it is easier to nestle one into its new home if I first remove nearly all mature leaves. And if I'm potting up little ones from community pots into individual pots, this same principle applies, and there are even more leaves, and smaller ones (fit more easily into less space), to make even more new plants from. Recently I simply collect the severed leaves in disposable plastic cups, of various sizes (they stack together nicely to save space). Plantlets form readily, and they will keep for many months in this condition. Since my grow-room is nearly always at its maximum capacity. My "plantlet bank" is always ready to supply little ones to fill additional community pots, as needed. This is additionally convenient whenever a mishap occurs, no plant type is usually ever lost, unless double or triple disaster were to happen. Double, when the adult plants and plantlets are lost, if there aren't any community pots of that type, and triply if there are and they too were lost.

Another thought; imagine how you could refine your growing techniques if you had nearly unlimited, potentially disposable, plants to try different ideas on.

ah yes, but what to do about space? and then what to do with all those excess plantlets?! I guess one could dispose of the extras or like you said hold them in the "bank" until needed.....
Not sure i can handle that!
Peter.
tounge.gif

They make good trading material and test subjects. As long as there is no SPCP (Society to Prevent Cruelty to Plants).

Thanks for sharing! I've been toying with the idea of approaching a local pet shop and extolling the virtues of providing livestock (CP's) that will sell well precisely converse to that of tropical fish. I like the idea of consignment and being able to spread the collection out!

Back