Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wow, Pinguicula flowers have floral fragrances

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I've read that P. planifolia has a somewhat faintly sweet scent in it's flowers.

Also My P. lutea has just flowered and I've smelled a faint scent that smells something like Jasmine.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-14-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good sniffing, Farmer Dave. Keep up the good work.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! thanks! It really gave me a reason to go out there and start smelling the flowers whenever you said that you didn't think that any warm temperate pings had scented flowers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably was making an unfounded assumption. But for some reason I had acquired the belief that the majority of Pinguicula had no noticeable fragrance. I have this propensity to challenge dogma (even imaginary dogma), so I did and started discovering that my assumption was somewhat erroneous. It has improved my outlook concerning this genus, which was already pretty positive. Kind of, like finding an lottery ticket on the ground, then discovering it to be a winner.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-14-2007 at 12:25 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph you might want to consider recording the time you smell the flowers too. They may be like some orchids. Braslavola nadosa comes to mind right off hand. It is called queen of the night because it only releases its sweet fragrance in the evening. During the day it has no smell at all. There are others that are similar to that. I have a hybrid Catt that only smelled in the early AM, and others that only smelled mid day. The premise is that they only went to smelling when their pollinator was out and about. This could be the reason for smelling them at night in the early AM like you did then not smelling them the next day. You may just be missing it.

There is just so much to be learned yet about CPs.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing that might be a little off topic is that In both of my Ping's flowers i've seen these little black beetle looking things, but I haven't seen them in any other flowers of any other plants around my area. Could that be because they kinda have a sybiotic relationship or something like that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed a definite and consistent fragrance from all clones of Pinguicula 'Titan' that have been in my possession. It is like a milder, more toned down version of tuberoses. It is rather lovely but I would not count in among my most favorite of all floral fragrances.

I have noticed that flowers of Pinguicula esseriana will sometimes have a distinct citrus aroma during the morning hours, but it is by no means consistent. I cannot speculate whether fragrance is emitted due to environmental conditions or due to the age of the blooms themselves.

I have never detected any fragrance whatsoever from any clones of Pinguicula moranensis or the hybrid clones 'Sethos', 'Hot Lips' or 'Aphrodite'.

Cheers,
    Corey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12