User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Does P. primuliflora require dormancy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the care sheets and information sites that I have read on P. primuliflora have not been clear at all as to whether this species requires dormancy. Some say that it needs a full 3-4 months of winter dormancy, others say that a "short" dormancy is fine, and others say that no dormancy is required.

So which one is it? I just got my first one in the mail today, and I am not sure if I should slowly expose it to the temps my VFT's are experiencing outside or if I should just leave it inside until the Spring.

Thanks!

-Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i believe that it requires a cool winter dormancy that is not too long but not to short, like how it usually gets in the wild here in North Florida.

good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even in the wild I haven't noticed any obvious "dormant" behaviours, I've seen them in January, blooming through a hard film of frost-formed ice where they were growing in shallow depressions, (former tire tracks) with water in them. The foliage appeared the same as in spring and summer, though lying in ice-cold water. And certainly this may have been considered out-of-season flowering. I haven't given any of my SE USA Pinguicula any kind of semi-normal winter conditions for many years, and I believe though they are surviving, they are suffering from the lack of colder winter temperatures.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Thanks for the response Joseph.
    -Joel from Southern California