What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any relatively easy Mex. Pings?

After it seems that my P. 'Sethos' is doing so well on my growshelf, I'm really getting interested in other Pings as well. Are there any easy Pings out there that you might recommend besides P. moranensis? There are several interesting ones on a website that I've seen, but I don't know anything about them, so maybe by posting some not-demanding Pings, it'll help me choose.

-Ben

P. moranensis multiplies like a weed for me. Give it a shot. I can post a pic of my leaf cuttings to show you what I mean if you like.

I would say they are equally easy with the possible exception of the species like P. gypsicola.
I pretty much treat them all the same. There are just a handful like P. gypsicola that like to be dry when in their winter leaf stage.

Peter.

Ok, thanks. Sure, you can post a pic of your leaf cutting, BCK.

-Ben

P. x Titan, anything in the esseriana complex, anything really. i have 3 mexican pings. 2 Moranensis and one 'Titan'. i just now got my moranensis to grow and it is beautiful!
Alex

Here's a pic of my leave cuttings Ben. Once they get bigger I might be able to tell how many are on each leaf. Right now it's impossible. I've had leaves produce multiple plants before, but not like this.
178566694O923362859.jpg

Holy crud, that's just scary. How long did it take for those leaves to do that?

-Ben

It's been just over two months. I took that pic yesterday. If you decide to try moranensis, let me know and I'll send you one of these leaves. I don't have room for all of them. I don't have room for any of them for that matter, but I hate to toss out perfectly good leaves.
crazy.gif

Heh, I just noticed the date on the pic.
blush.gif

Sure, I'll try it. But maybe a leaf with just one plant on it?
smile.gif

What color are its flowers?

-Ben

Here's a pic of the flower:
178597016RL419545121.jpg

didn't have very good light so the color is duller than in real life. It's got a bit more of a scarlet pink tinge.

Your question was still a good one as I could have taken the pic anytime between 10-28-06 and today. You just nailed the time frame down so there can be no doubt of it.

Wow, that's nice. It's just regular old 'P. moranensis' then? How long 'til they get mature?

-Ben

Can't say since I got mine as a flowering size plant in the last NASC auction. This flower is on a small clump (~2" diam.) that doesn't even have roots. Not even a small nubin. My guess would be that once they get a couple inches across they'll start flowering.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's just regular old 'P. moranensis' then?

There is no such thing. "Pinguicula moranensis" is just a term used by botanists to describe any pinguicula that grows in Mexico and isn't another pinguicula
tounge.gif

Many ping growers are just itching to propose species status for every "form" of P. moranesis in cultivation. They are afraid to voice their opinions in fear that the taxonomy gestapo take them away.
oh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Jan. 04 2007,10:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's just regular old 'P. moranensis' then?

There is no such thing. "Pinguicula moranensis" is just a term used by botanists to describe any pinguicula that grows in Mexico and isn't another pinguicula
tounge.gif
THIS IS TRUE! haha i actually have no idea.
Alex

I just meant "P. moranensis without any fancy schmancy name."

-Ben

Back