Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blooming Mexican Pinguicula

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, lol, he meant in your signature. You spelled "Reply" 'Relpy'.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finch, no offense meant. I was just poking at the fact you misspelled "reply", r - e - l - p - y, transposing the l and p, in your signature.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just wondering too, the other day, how one makes a "relpy". I should like to learn one day. I would say step down on this one finch, I think it was a friendly jab at a simple misspelling on your part. Man, the holidays have gotten people tense. I know how it is--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear. Drat I never noticed the mispelling. I thought you were speaking as a moderator to someone who was potentially not using the reply button as what it was intended for. I hope I did not sound, eh, rude. I couldn’t figure out what the potential ‘problem’ was.

I apologize profoundly.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but really, no apology necessary. I did wish to express, Finch, that I do appreciate your willingness to participate in the forum as you do. Keep up the good work. Though I have some OCD working in me that causes me to be so compulsive about plant nomenclature. I too have misspelled, misidentified, more than my share of words, including plant names.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    therockmoron
    You have a PM
    Lois
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I maintain my flourescent light setup at a constant 20-hour photoperiod throughout the year. The plants themselves are exposed to widely varying temperature and humidity ranges, though I have noticed that the majority of them grow and flower much, much better with cooler temperatures (in the 50-70º F range). For the past couple of years, my pings have grown beautifully all through autumn, winter and spring and then languish and sometimes die in the heat of summer. I ended up losing quite a few of my favorites during a heat wave this past summer. They just stopped growing and then succombed to bacterial rot nearly overnight. Those that I salvaged and repotted only started to recover nicely once temperatures significantly cooled off in autumn.

Most of my plants seem to go in and out of winter growth forms at random, although some like Pinguicula 'Titan' and some forms of Pinguicula agnata seem to always know when it is winter regardless of photoperiod and temperature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blooming Pinguicula laueana

Pinguicula laueana does appear to initiate blooms from its winter rosette, however, for many years my many plants, consisting of multiple individuals of various clones of Pinguicula laueana had no problems forming winter rosettes despite consistent year-round high moisture levels (setting in water), high temperatures (80-90F / 26.6-32.2C) and day lengths of 12 hours or more. It wasn't until I modified their environment to include a night temperature drop down to 40F (4.4C) and even somewhat lower, that my plants of this species began forming flower buds and blooming. Moisture level and day length, do not appear involved, despite anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Simply providing a nighttime drop in temperatures below 40F (4.4C) when the plants are in winter leaf form, seems to be the deciding environmental ingredient for them to initiate blooming.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast