What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tiny little roots...

i;ve got about 15 esseriana cuttings getting pretty large in some pure vermiculite that are gonna need repotting soon. but the root are so small! how in the world do you plant these things??? normally, like when i repotted my VFT cuttings, i just kinda made a hole in the soil and lowered the root system down into it and caved in the hole, but even my parent esseriana had roots less then an inch long, the cuttings arent even a half inch... bleh.

And they won't ever get much longer or more populous than they are right now. Creatively is how I would describe repotting, sometimes called transplanting, these small, weakly, and shallowly rooted Pinguicula species and hybrids.

I measure the diameter of the base of the plant, then make a shallow depression in the surface of the media in the new pot, container, that is slightly larger in diameter than the diameter of the plant, but not very deep. Carefully place the plant, bottom down, into this depression. Gently push the media up against the base of the plant, gently water to settle it in, and you are done.

When handling these newly repotted plants, remember that they are not anchored in their pots by any roots, at least for several weeks while the media firms up and the plant grows roots into it.

Back