What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pollinating?

I am not sure where to apply the pollen to do some crosses and selfing
I have no problem getting pollen by removing some of the petals.
Is this the area where it is applied? I have searched for information but have not found anything useful. The pinned link pick doesn’t seem to work anymore. I will be using the blackened toothpick teck.
Pingflower2.jpg

Thanks
Stephen

you know that little flap-thingy that moves when you probe around in the flower during pollination?
well the outside of that flappy thing is where you pollinate. The reason why it moves out like that is because it doesn't want to be self-pollinated.

I'm pretty sure that I'm right, because that's what works for me and that's what I've read, but because of my limited knowledge in pings if I'm wrong please correct me.

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure that that's where you should apply the pollen.

Thanks Farmer. So you just shmear the pollen on the surface of this little tongue looking thing. Or does it go under it?

where the stigma is hairy, thats where you put it.
Alex

You guys sound like teenagers trying to find the...stigma.

Maybe thats what I need, some spray hair.HEHEHE...
Are you serious where its hairy? Not what I have circled?

basically the same area.
on the outside part of the flap thingy

Ok. That’s what I thought.
This is a P.moransis. I think I have success with the previous flower. The left over petals fell off and there is some swelling going on.
I'm hoping for some fresh seed to try. I haven't had any luck with three previous 3 attempts with purchased seed.
Thanks folks
Stephen

The area you have circled in your photograph is exactly the area to apply the pollen for fertilization/pollination of the Pinguicula flower.

Thanks Joseph I figured you would chime in.
Stephen

dscn2446.jpg

The pad is the stigma. The tubes below it are the filaments, with the anthers behind the stigma. The purple is the ovary.

-Ben

Back