What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping feeding

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
I hijacked my post from Joseph's sticky:
on 2/2/2007: Don't ever try this yourself, someone might get hurt....

All right, I tried a mix of ground blood worm, Root Shield, and ground Ironite (2:2:1). it BURNED the leaves within an hour!!!!

I will try a different mix this weekend on different pings - most likely a 10:5:1.

Today: many of the burned leaves simply have small pits in them where grains of ironite landed. Other than that, the plants that recveived the strong Ironite mix are doing great!
I am trying the 10:5:1 mix today on the other pings to compare the results and (hopefully) not get the burned leaves.

Here is a pic of NoID "A" taken 2-2-07. You can see the burning and the pitting:
CPs2-3-07028.jpg

and here is the same plant today with no further fertilizing:
100_5535.jpg

Could you just add some Flourite to the mix to supply iron? Or Iron oxide? Or a rusty nail? Lmao

I fertilize my pings without anything bad happening. I don't mess with bloodworms ( I'm deathly allergic and that's no exaggeration. Don't breath in the dust!). I just add about a gram of orchid fertilizer to about 16 ounces or water. Sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. I eyeball it.

I've wondered if the WAY you spray matters with some plants... I spray away from plants and let the mist settle as millions little droplets while some people saturate the plant. and make the whole thing wet. I do saturate nepenthes foliage, however. And Sarracenia. Something to ponder.

Joseph uses iron oxide, but I could not readily find any. Hence the Ironite I use on the lawn. A VERY little goes a LONG LONG way.

Have you considered using Seachem's flourish iron? It's 10,000 mg's (10 grams) of ferrous iron per liter. Contains no N or P. You can get it at Petsmart. As this form of iron is water soluble I'd imagine it would be ideal for uptake by the pings. Joseph, you should play around with this idea!

You should be able to find iron oxide at paint, concrete or ceramics supply stores as it is used as a pigment in all those applications.

How about buying freezed dried bloodworms from a petshop and pulverizing it further with your fingers, sprinkling a little bit on each plant? It also works for sundews.

Really? I'll have to try that since there's no way I can find a bug that small.

Hi All,

I have been feeding my pings springtails since I culture them myself for my dartfrogs.All I do is use a larger Gladware conatiner filled with sphagnum moss and feed them brewers yeast.I always have plenty.
Mark W.

I was wondering if pollen would be a possible way to feed my pings.
Since I've read that they can in fact 'digest' it and it is full of nutrients, but do you think that it is possible to use too much?

Hi All,

I have been feeding my pings springtails since I culture them myself for my dartfrogs.All I do is use a larger Gladware conatiner filled with sphagnum moss and feed them brewers yeast.I always have plenty.
Mark W.

Setting up moist trays of rotting fruit always results in fresh fruitflies. A rap on the tray sets the fruitflies jettisoning out and into the butterworts and sundews! Of course my setup was away from the kitchen...

Back