What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question About Leaf Pullings

A couple weeks ago I got some P. esseriana cuttings from Steve (elgecko) and I can see that they're forming tiny little plantlets growing. There don't seem to be any roots yet but I was wondering when I will need to move them to a more permanent location. Currently I have them in a tray of LFS with some nep seeds. They're in a baggy too.

Thanks. :D

you should probably wait till they start forming roots and have a couple of small leaves before you move them. Unlike some plants, from what I know Pinguicula can tolerate being transplanted.

Yeah I'd just put them in their permanent homes now but the new pots and vermiculite that I ordered haven't come in yet. x_x;

Chrono, they can sit in a sealed baggy with damn LFS for ever. I'm sure Joseph will chime in here... But that's how he does his cuttings. I've followed that method too. :)
Andrew

That's definitely a good thing, considering that I have no idea when my pots are gonna get here.. since the temp is absolute CRAP and it won't be sent unless the temp is above 50 degrees. :/

You can replant them just about any time you want. Mexican Pings seem to handle anything thrown at them.
I pull my leaves and place them in the pot that I want them to grow in from the start. I keep mine very dry. I use a spray bottle and spray the soil and leaves twice a week. In between the spraying the soil is completely dry. I'm surprised that they do not seem to mind being dry at all for long periods of time.
If I keep them too wet, they usually fail.

Oh wow, I was thinking they needed a whole lot of moisture like other cuttings. I will hold off on misting inside the bag from now on.

You can replant them just about any time you want. Mexican Pings seem to handle anything thrown at them.
I pull my leaves and place them in the pot that I want them to grow in from the start. I keep mine very dry. I use a spray bottle and spray the soil and leaves twice a week. In between the spraying the soil is completely dry. I'm surprised that they do not seem to mind being dry at all for long periods of time.
If I keep them too wet, they usually fail.

Yeah.... what he said! I have done both propogation in sealed baggies... (Joseph Clemens)and left them in there for a few weeks, as well as put leaves right next to the parent plants (Capslock method). Both work. Not sure which works better.

Strausplants002.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

They'e really tolerant of just about anything... except being drowned!

Good news! I found some pots in the trunk of my car.. and some more in this shelfy thingy.. so I'll be putting them there. :p

There's no need to adapt them to a non-baggy environment is there?

Oh wow, I was thinking they needed a whole lot of moisture like other cuttings. I will hold off on misting inside the bag from now on.

Yes. Misting inside the bag is unnecessary. The moisture in the bag can't go anywhere, so if anything, misting will just oversaturate the media. It will just cycle through the media to the plant to the air and back. I just followed the bag method that everyone talks about and it works really well. I just transplanted mine a few weeks ago when I saw that there were some tiny leaves sticking up. I only lost one in this process, and I have not yet been able to tell what happened with that one compared to all the others that are doing marvelously.

xvart.

edit:

Good news! I found some pots in the trunk of my car.. and some more in this shelfy thingy.. so I'll be putting them there. :p

There's no need to adapt them to a non-baggy environment is there?

Nope. At least not in my limited experience.

Cool.. I still didn't do it yet.. school and work.. plus I'm lazy. x_X

Thanks for all the info!

Back