Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uncharted hybrid territory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About creating such hybrids -- stranger things have happened, but could something like this be created easily, I wouldn't say that. It may never happen, but I've seen enough things happen that should have been impossible, or at least highly unlikely -- I try to avoid thinking of anything as impossible. Unlikely, perhaps; difficult, yes; impossible, not actually. My personal opinion is that the genetic mechanism (DNA) used by all the living organisms we are aware of on our planet is close enough in composition and mechanism that given sophisticated enough technology we should be able to learn to create such hybrids. I hope that we humans can eventually achieve such technology where these type of manipulations become easily possible.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if anyones ever tried it though... One of the things that I'm always surprised about on this board is not the plants people have hybridized, but the plants they haven't. I would assume that because CPs have been cultivated for so long people would have tried almost everything. Maybe the people who have done it are too traumatized by their failure to come out and explain it to us, or I just underestimate what it takes to do these things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thought i heard whisperings of a dionaea being crossed with a drosera a while back and producing viable seed, but all seedlings died rather quickly.

stuff like that is amazing in itself, so i wouldnt doubt for a second that mexicans can be crossed with temperates, its probably just a matter of patience and persistence, i imagine
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can i have a link to that Darlingtonia x sarracenia thing? thanks!

I have tried to hybridize my weser with my primuliflora, but i didnt know how to treat the resulting seeds (as mexicans, temperates,etc...), and they failed to germinate...they may have even been selfings of weser...i dont honestly know...
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

future nursury owner...i hope CP_dude's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thought i heard whisperings of a dionaea being crossed with a drosera a while back and producing viable seed, but all seedlings died rather quickly.
    I think that was Dionaea and Drosera Regia...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12