What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uncharted hybrid territory

After reading the "Darlingtonia x Sarracenia" thread I've decided to ask a question dealing with a notion Trent Meeks brought to my attention. has anyone ever crossed Mexican Pings with temperate ones? There are many Mexican Ping hybrids, but there aren't any hybrids of the other Pings with eachother...much less between Mexicans and these. Has anyone thought of doing this? Or tried? I'd love to see planifolia x lutea or gigantea x planifolia. Think of all the possible great combinations.

Oh...and i meant uncharted not "unchartered". I guess I have boating on the mind.

o_O, that's a good idea. But, someone'll come here and smack you over the head with the idea of "Not enough nucleus inside the nucleoulus of the centient entreprenureal" nerdy type of thing that you won't understand, or say something about chromosomes. :D

Lol.

I'll google it.

It's not our fault you don't understand.

I'm not into pings so can only say that I've never heard of it. Try it out and see. Joseph probably knows since he's obsessed with pings :) Just make damn sure you use proper nomenclature! lol

:(.

Gee, thanks.

And yes, it is your fault, because um.... I blame it on you! Hahahah! Actually, it's not. I just suck. :(

You don't suck.

Just go with that.

Well...I'm not sure about the nucleus stuff. But theoretically, they are in the same genus...so they can be hybridized. Although I grow some Pings, I don't even begin to know how to pollinate them.

About creating such hybrids -- stranger things have happened, but could something like this be created easily, I wouldn't say that. It may never happen, but I've seen enough things happen that should have been impossible, or at least highly unlikely -- I try to avoid thinking of anything as impossible. Unlikely, perhaps; difficult, yes; impossible, not actually. My personal opinion is that the genetic mechanism (DNA) used by all the living organisms we are aware of on our planet is close enough in composition and mechanism that given sophisticated enough technology we should be able to learn to create such hybrids. I hope that we humans can eventually achieve such technology where these type of manipulations become easily possible.

I wonder if anyones ever tried it though... One of the things that I'm always surprised about on this board is not the plants people have hybridized, but the plants they haven't. I would assume that because CPs have been cultivated for so long people would have tried almost everything. Maybe the people who have done it are too traumatized by their failure to come out and explain it to us, or I just underestimate what it takes to do these things.

i thought i heard whisperings of a dionaea being crossed with a drosera a while back and producing viable seed, but all seedlings died rather quickly.

stuff like that is amazing in itself, so i wouldnt doubt for a second that mexicans can be crossed with temperates, its probably just a matter of patience and persistence, i imagine

can i have a link to that Darlingtonia x sarracenia thing? thanks!

I have tried to hybridize my weser with my primuliflora, but i didnt know how to treat the resulting seeds (as mexicans, temperates,etc...), and they failed to germinate...they may have even been selfings of weser...i dont honestly know...

i thought i heard whisperings of a dionaea being crossed with a drosera a while back and producing viable seed, but all seedlings died rather quickly.

I think that was Dionaea and Drosera Regia...

Back