What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. primuliflora died is there a chance

Well about a month ago I ordered my first ping and had high hopes for it. Not going to name the supplier I was not happy with the way it was package and shipped, There Customer Service sucks. Alright enough of this. Long story short, the plant has died, before I give up on it is there a small chance this fellow could come back from the roots?

I would really like to see this one come back but if not I'll find somewhere else to order from.

Sorry for the rant,
Chris

Edited,

From reading a few post this might not be the most user friendly plant around. Could some recommend one that is easy to grow? I was thinking about trying to find a P. esseriana. Would that be a good choice?

This is one Ping I can not keep alive at all. I tried 3 times growing P. primuliflora.
One in equal parts perlite, peat moss, and LFS.
One in the same mix but I read where it likes it very wet, so I kept the water just under the soil.
One in live LFS and I could not grow any of them, for the most part.
I can grow them usually over the summer, but when fall comes the plant dies. Actually rots, even if I keep the soil almost dry.

The Mexican Pings are so much easier to grow. I have not had any problem with any of these.

I just killed two of them as well.. well the one might still be alive. It kept flowering like constantly, it would ALWAYS have at least two flowers open at any one time. I have no idea why, but it did.

*I* think I overwatered it, but I'm not 100% sure.

I doubt it will come back from its roots. Sorry. :/

Thats weird, I have had mine in the same terrarium for almost ten years with no problems. It started with just one and now it has spread to 20 plants. the soil was 50/50 sand peat moss and has never been changed. The terrarium is a "natural" type and has D. capensis, D. adelae, and D. spatulata.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of the easiest Pings for me to grow. It is very "southern", not sure why Chris would have a problem. I have noticed, however, that if you just plant it in a random Sarracenia pot or something, and don't give it much attention it tends to do better. Other than that I grow it mainly in sphagnum only. You can mix in a little peat, but itn prefers a sphagnum heavy mix.

I'm guessing it likes sphagnum because it's a more perforated medium.. it drains better and I bet it keeps them from rotting so easily. I'll remember that.

My butterwort makes babies itself :) . P. primuliflora has never given me trouble. You should treat it like a VFT, giving it a dark garage or somethin during the winter.

Mine made babies too, until it died. So they did too, lol.

Mine didn't even make it to winter, but they don't need dormancy anyways. I'll try again next time I feel like it. Except for the fact that it flowers ALL THE TIME, I didn't find it that interesting.

This is such an enigmatic species! For me it grows well... flowers... produces plantlets. It's just a window sill plant and I water it once a week. Nothing fancy at all.

Lowes normally sells them. That's where I have gotten mine.

Yeah...mine never go dormant. And I grow them wet as hell. In the wild they are usually submereged. You don't have to do this. It is definitely the easiest of the southeastern Pings. P. pumila, which grows locally for me, is almost impossible.

I have had horrible luck trying to grow P. primuliflora as well. They seem to die quickly and for no reason at all.

I had one I'd gotten in a Lowe's cube which did well until I watered it with a gallon of distilled I'd mixed with a tablespoon of vinegar to water my minibogs. It was brown and gone within a day. So maybe it enjoys soil with more neutral pH, and the gradual lowering of pH via tannins is slowly killing off the plants? Is everyone using acidic media for these?

Maybe it was just too much of a change in conditions and it reacted. I'm not doing anything unusual to its media - sand & peat, with a little LFS on top.

Pure LFS here. A little peat sometimes too.

I have done great with this plant.
I don't understand as to why it might possibly be dying on you.

I have at least one in all of my pots because my two mother plants keep on popping them out.

I grow both of my mother plants in a 100% peat mixture with Live sphagnum at the top, as well as another in 100% live sphagnum with a layer of perlite at the bottom.

the way that I water it is basically watering it 'whenever'. When I do water it though I get the water level to the soil level, and I ususally let it dry out a bit afterwards.

Alright so I officially have no idea why mine died either. :p

Thanks everyone for the suggestion.. I have one lonely leaf the is buried in the mix so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope it roots..

I've never had a P. primuliflora leaf sprout a new plant, but that would be way cool if you get it to work. The Mexican pings sprout from leaves very well, exxcept for P. gypsicola.

My little Lowe's P. primuliflora keeps trying to die on me as well. Hmm, and I thought it was just me...

The leaves seem to brown from tips-to-stem and then turn slimy and rot away.

I've tried LFS/Perlite and peat/Perlite.

I've tried lightly watering it and also a heavy watering routine.

I've put it under my T5's and I've tried it under the T12's. No difference. :(

I've even tried it under a little humidity dome.....

It wants to flower all the time but refuses to keep its leaves intact.

Might some of our pings be "bad genetics" plants, while other's are of a healthier stock??

That could be it, I'd assume that all of Lowes' CPs are from TC? Maybe P. primuliflora is "allergic" to TC? But then you'd think they'd die in the store, but they don't? Maybe it IS humidity? They're in those mini terrarium things at Lowes...hmm..

Back