Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: P. primuliflora died is there a chance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P. primuliflora died is there a chance

Well about a month ago I ordered my first ping and had high hopes for it. Not going to name the supplier I was not happy with the way it was package and shipped, There Customer Service sucks. Alright enough of this. Long story short, the plant has died, before I give up on it is there a small chance this fellow could come back from the roots?

I would really like to see this one come back but if not I'll find somewhere else to order from.

Sorry for the rant,
    Chris

Edited,

From reading a few post this might not be the most user friendly plant around. Could some recommend one that is easy to grow? I was thinking about trying to find a P. esseriana. Would that be a good choice?

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one Ping I can not keep alive at all. I tried 3 times growing P. primuliflora.
    One in equal parts perlite, peat moss, and LFS.
    One in the same mix but I read where it likes it very wet, so I kept the water just under the soil.
    One in live LFS and I could not grow any of them, for the most part.
    I can grow them usually over the summer, but when fall comes the plant dies. Actually rots, even if I keep the soil almost dry.

The Mexican Pings are so much easier to grow. I have not had any problem with any of these.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just killed two of them as well.. well the one might still be alive. It kept flowering like constantly, it would ALWAYS have at least two flowers open at any one time. I have no idea why, but it did.

*I* think I overwatered it, but I'm not 100% sure.

I doubt it will come back from its roots. Sorry. :/
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats weird, I have had mine in the same terrarium for almost ten years with no problems. It started with just one and now it has spread to 20 plants. the soil was 50/50 sand peat moss and has never been changed. The terrarium is a "natural" type and has D. capensis, D. adelae, and D. spatulata.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 07-13-2007 at 08:05 PM.
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of the easiest Pings for me to grow. It is very "southern", not sure why Chris would have a problem. I have noticed, however, that if you just plant it in a random Sarracenia pot or something, and don't give it much attention it tends to do better. Other than that I grow it mainly in sphagnum only. You can mix in a little peat, but itn prefers a sphagnum heavy mix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing it likes sphagnum because it's a more perforated medium.. it drains better and I bet it keeps them from rotting so easily. I'll remember that.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My butterwort makes babies itself . P. primuliflora has never given me trouble. You should treat it like a VFT, giving it a dark garage or somethin during the winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine made babies too, until it died. So they did too, lol.

Mine didn't even make it to winter, but they don't need dormancy anyways. I'll try again next time I feel like it. Except for the fact that it flowers ALL THE TIME, I didn't find it that interesting.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast