Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SOS!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question SOS!!

hi, i'm new here, and a new fan of the carnivorous plants in general... i browsed throu many of the posts here and digged up some great tips, but i have a HUGE problem now and i could use all the help i can get, asap....

this saturday i bought a Butterwort (dont exactly know which kind), and treated it like any of my other carnivours- deep h2o, morning sun, occasional ant, you know. but this monday morning i spotted big browm spots on its leaves, like it was drying out, so i relocationed it in a place with more shadow. the next day i look, and it seems like it's also rottening! drying AND rittening, is this possible

anyway, im pretty lost, i love my plants like my kids and it hurts me so much to see it this way... any tips??

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SOS please someone help me it's not healthy for me to.... sorry I love that song.

You gave it too much water so it probably got a fungus that was instigated by a rotting ant. Then you moved it to shade which is great for fungi, and that killed it. It's also probably a P. primuliflora, which rots a lot anyway. It's drying because it's roots are shot and rotting/rotten.

Throw it away and get another one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLAP pretty much summed it up. Maybe you could salvage it by propagating what's left of it. P. Primuliflora is extremely easy to propagate, even with dying parts. I made some with a dying flower stalk the other day. It's just a matter of if it's worth the effort or not.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    SOS please someone help me it's not healthy for me to.... sorry I love that song.
    Mama Mia! sorry... couldn't resist! I only have ABBA Gold and More ABBA Gold.

Ami - Welcome to TF! I would recommend leaving the plant in the ocnditions you have and allow the water to dry up, before re-filling. It wouldn't hurt to get another plant. I have had good success with this species by just keeping at a window sill and watering only when the water in the "tray" was low. The other thing is to find the best consitions / location you have and alllow the plant to acclimate.

We're all assuming you got a "Lowes Cube of death", which means that it was likely neglected and weak. Does the plant look like this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for answering guys... mine doesnt look like this, it has bigger, brighter leaves.
    it wasant neglected, i treat all my plants with a lot of love, but im new at this, so i was bound to fail at some point..... right now almost every leaf has a dry spot. i gave it an ant yesterday abut i dont see it, so i guess it escaped (one also escaped from my Drossera, only the Dionaea is currently eating).
    about the conditions, i live in israel, and we're currently going throu a heat wave, so they get morning sun, but its still warm. it's also moist and they all have mini-greenhouses (these tiny plastic shields) and they get water regularly.

again, thank you all for answering...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ami, those mini plastic shields are NOT good for the plants. You may have simply cooked the
    plant. It's best to slowly take off the clear tops of the pots a little bit more every day and not place the plant in direct sunlight while the plant is covered.
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Israel?! I was assuming you got the plant from one of the local hardware chains that sell these plants, and haven't a clue what to do with them when they arrive. I wasn't at all implying that you've neglected them. Exccuse me while I pull my foot out of my mouth!

The one pictured is what is commonly sold in our hardware stores. You may have something more like these:

Do you know some of our other Israeli forum members, like Arie Cohen or the one called YTK?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know Arie Cohen, he's been helping me a lot in the israeli gardening forum.. dont know the other one thou, and i never saw these plants being sold in hardware stores! that's so odd.....

i'll take them all out of the plastic covers, now that you've mentioned it, in this heat i might as well boiled the poor things... i also wonder on where to put my Drosera, it's ok for now but i wanna keep her that way... :P

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast