Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dividing a P.gypsicola

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,
    I bought a bag of vermiculite and moistened it then squeezed the heck out of it then put a layer in a clear Gladware type of a conatiner and put it into a South facing window.
    Mark

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South facing? Greenhouse effect? They didn't mind the heat? Next time I do this I will set up a plastic pot with barely moist media; emplace the leaves; and put the pot in a sealed Ziplock bag, with indirect or artificial lighting. I'm open to suggestions for better strike rate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spread a group of the Winter leaves on a dry, folded, paper towel in one of those clear, ventilated plastic containers berries are sold in. So far, about 100% every time. Once plantlets form I move them in groups to community pots with slightly damp media sealed in ZiplocŪ bags, then moved into individual pots once they have grown a little larger.

Very strong fluorescent light is helpful once the plants are moved into the ZiplocŪ bags to avoid damping off and to support strong growth. It is also essential for continued vigorous growth to blooming size plants.

Here is a photo of a group of Pinguicula gypsicola plantlets created using this technique. These are several months old, after the plantlets have formed. If they are moved to community pots as soon as possible after the plantlets form the young plants will grow with maximum vigor to larger sizes. Those in this photo will grow more slowly to larger sized plants:

You can tell by the dry, dead, remains of the parent leaves that these were not produced from Winter form leaves, but rather by Summer leaves.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-11-2007 at 02:41 AM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dry.... mine are probably just past the thershhold of moistness, I currently have a batch in barely moist media, in a ziplock bag. I'll try your approach soon. The plant you gave me 13 months ago is totally winter leaf, just as it was 12 months ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are just now finishing their massive blooming, I pollinated almost every flower, many are forming seed pods. Some were pollinated with their own pollen, others with pollen of other species or hybrids in order to create even more hybrids. All of the plants of this species that bloomed this time are forming their Winter leaves/rosettes though very few of those that were too small to bloom are doing so.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, do I have a long way to go!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy, I hear you there !! I am going to start some leaf pulling this weekend on most of my plants.I'd love to have a tray full of gypsicola.Hopefully it will work out.

I need to break down a few empty frog tanks and make more room for my pings,gotta love em

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph,
    Today I am doing some pullings and have a question.Looking at how you have your Gypsicola summer leaves in a large quantity do you think they you technique will work with a smaller quantity sort of spread out?
    I have about 40 pullings from my mother plant and was thinking on trying a few different ways of setting them up. I had had success wuth using slightly moist vermiculite and just setting them in South facing windowsill but that was inMay-June and this time want to put them under my lights.Is it ok to have them as well lit as my plants are or should I have them in indirect light?
    Mark W.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast