What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dividing a P.gypsicola

Hi All,
When is the best time to divide my gyspicola? From looking at it this morning it went from two plants to three.Is it better to divide it now or when it starts developing its winter leaves?
Mark W.

This one is tricky....the danger of dividing is some Pings tend to fall apart when pulling them apart. Is the gypsi clearly separating into separate plants? if not, i would leave it alone.
Peter

I remember Jimscott had a pic of some healthy propagated Gypsicola...

I've never heard of it dividing. Maybe someone else knows. I would leave it alone and wait for the leaves to become winter form and attempt leaf pullings.

I guess what I mean is it is now in the crestate form.Not too sure oif that is the correct way of putting it or not. Anyway, thanks for the tips and I wil just leave it and see how it develops.
Mark W.

Yes, pings do crestate sometimes. I would leave it alone. Any attempt to separate could result in no plant, just separated leaves!!
Peter.

Thanks Pingman.I have been pretty lucky propogating them so far.I have 14 plants from pullings I took this spring from the mature plant I bought from Wolfstriker.
Mark W.

How have you been approaching leaf pullings?

Hi Jim,
I bought a bag of vermiculite and moistened it then squeezed the heck out of it then put a layer in a clear Gladware type of a conatiner and put it into a South facing window.
Mark

South facing? Greenhouse effect? They didn't mind the heat? Next time I do this I will set up a plastic pot with barely moist media; emplace the leaves; and put the pot in a sealed Ziplock bag, with indirect or artificial lighting. I'm open to suggestions for better strike rate!

I spread a group of the Winter leaves on a dry, folded, paper towel in one of those clear, ventilated plastic containers berries are sold in. So far, about 100% every time. Once plantlets form I move them in groups to community pots with slightly damp media sealed in Ziploc® bags, then moved into individual pots once they have grown a little larger.

Very strong fluorescent light is helpful once the plants are moved into the Ziploc® bags to avoid damping off and to support strong growth. It is also essential for continued vigorous growth to blooming size plants.

Here is a photo of a group of Pinguicula gypsicola plantlets created using this technique. These are several months old, after the plantlets have formed. If they are moved to community pots as soon as possible after the plantlets form the young plants will grow with maximum vigor to larger sizes. Those in this photo will grow more slowly to larger sized plants:

P_gypsicola_7Nov07-016.jpg

You can tell by the dry, dead, remains of the parent leaves that these were not produced from Winter form leaves, but rather by Summer leaves.

Last edited:
Dry.... mine are probably just past the thershhold of moistness, I currently have a batch in barely moist media, in a ziplock bag. I'll try your approach soon. The plant you gave me 13 months ago is totally winter leaf, just as it was 12 months ago.

Mine are just now finishing their massive blooming, I pollinated almost every flower, many are forming seed pods. Some were pollinated with their own pollen, others with pollen of other species or hybrids in order to create even more hybrids. All of the plants of this species that bloomed this time are forming their Winter leaves/rosettes though very few of those that were too small to bloom are doing so.

Man, do I have a long way to go!

Boy, I hear you there !! I am going to start some leaf pulling this weekend on most of my plants.I'd love to have a tray full of gypsicola.Hopefully it will work out.

I need to break down a few empty frog tanks and make more room for my pings,gotta love em

Joseph,
Today I am doing some pullings and have a question.Looking at how you have your Gypsicola summer leaves in a large quantity do you think they you technique will work with a smaller quantity sort of spread out?
I have about 40 pullings from my mother plant and was thinking on trying a few different ways of setting them up. I had had success wuth using slightly moist vermiculite and just setting them in South facing windowsill but that was inMay-June and this time want to put them under my lights.Is it ok to have them as well lit as my plants are or should I have them in indirect light?
Mark W.

Mark,
They certainly should do well if you spread them out more than I have in my photo above.

If you give them good light, they should be able to handle more moisture and get growing that much sooner. Most times I don't, because all the space under my lights is already taken and too much moisture without being balanced by strong light is not a good thing. Another thing that helps -- once the plantlets form is to give them a little feed (I use a very dilute fertilizer solution and dried insect dust) but be careful not to give them too much at a time, or the balance may again be lost, with possibly dire consequences.

Keep a close eye on them to gauge how they are responding to their conditions. If the light is making them too hot and dry, they must be balanced by more moisture. It's also a sure thing that once they start growing in a bright, moist environment, they will need some feed to keep them growing. It is an intricate balancing act, but a very rewarding one.

Last edited:
Thanks alot Joseph. I'll keep my eyes on them.
Mark

Back