What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving Mexican ping pollen?

birdman

Fairly Obsessed
Has anyone here refrigerated or frozen pollen for future pollination? I have a pretty good sized collection and have a few cross ideas- Unfortunatly the plants I'd like to cross have not been in bloom anywhere near the same time! Thanks for your thoughts- Birdman

i will be trying this soon , i have a p. "gina" that has bloomed and still makeing a new flower but most of my other worts have not shown any signs of blooming

I think it will keep for at least a few months if you follow proper procedure.

I don't know how you guys even collect the pollen!! I always end up butchering the flowers and get nothing. I stilll find laf cuttings the better way to keep them going.

As to getting them to flower, after only one year of trial, there is a slight increase in my butterwort collection flowering when I have them in cold, nearly dry conditions for the fall-spring. The ping crosses are far more likely to flower than straight up species. Currently in flower are rectifolia and a moctezumae x kores, but earlier in the season it was this moranensis huautla x ehleresiae and gypsicola and....

if anyone is willing to share there info on how to save and refidge pollen
i would be very grateful

What is proper procedure?

I guess this is the real question I'd like opinions on- How best to save the pollen for an extended time so I can cross with others as they bloom.

Back