What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to grow a FAT ehlersiae Ping

Hi All,

I found new budding leaves of my two P.ehlersiae became smaller and smaller / thiner and thiner. 1-2 months ago, the leaves were big and fat in shape.

May anyone know what are the reasons ? (they need much light or food ?) :-(

Many Thanks !!

ehlersiaeSP_5Nov.jpg

ehlersiae_5Nov.jpg

That's a reflection of winter rosette. Normal. Expect them to remain this way for the next few months.

That's a reflection of winter rosette. Normal. Expect them to remain this way for the next few months.

I see, then it should be triggered by decreasing lighting period. For these Pings, I only give them 6 hours of high intensity of light per day... thanks ! :-))

I love the contrast of your soil media and the ping. What exactly is your soil composition?

xvart.

Right, I have some of that at home. I was more curious if that was the only thing used or if there was some other mixture throughout and the aquatic soil was only a top dressing of sorts.

xvart.

HI,

"Not a Number" is rght, it is purely APS with very little river sand (<20%). With bottom a very thin layer of LFS.

The funny thing about your lighting is that it obviously has good intensity, as the maroon color indicates. Length of day is another thing. Together with a declining photoperiod, lower temps, less water, and a few other variables, they go from carnivorous to succulent. I don't have mine under artificial lighting. Mine are all window sills. Nature effectively cues the plants into winter leaf mode... and brings them out agan.

DCP_1845.jpg
Current setup

IMG_0183.jpg
P. gypsicola, last February

Strausplants0281.jpg
P. potosciensis in winter leaf mode and yet flowering.

Back