What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent photo of Pinguicula 'Weser' with contrast of commonly misnamed plant

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Here is a photo of Pinguicula 'Weser':
P_Weser_006.jpg

And here is a photo of one of the plants commonly referred to as "Garden Center Weser":

GardenCenter_Weser_007.jpg

I like the colors,the only flowers of pings I see are from my primuliflora I need to get my little mexicans to maturity :hail:

Unless the pictures themselves aren't accurate (which I doubt), the garden variety really pales in comparison.

Thanks for the clarifing pics.

That Pinguicula 'Weser' flower is beautiful. Very bright and colorful. What is the parentage of Pinguicula 'Weser'?

xvart.

That Pinguicula 'Weser' flower is beautiful. Very bright and colorful. What is the parentage of Pinguicula 'Weser'?

xvart.

The parents of Pinguicula 'Weser' are published to be: (Pinguicula moranensis x Pinguicula ehlersiae), though not all plants derived from these parents are Pinguicula 'Weser'. Doing so is an all too common mistake, which may be responsible for the many forms of what are called (Garden Center 'Weser').

though not all plants derived from these parents are Pinguicula 'Weser'.

Of course. Thanks for the follow-up. Another question: With cultivars of Pinguicula, is one outstanding one selected and then it is just propagated through leaf pullings and divisions to keep the one Pinguicula 'Weser' genetically identical?

We almost need certificates of authenticity (lol) for some cultivars as there are lots in circulation that are simply crosses between the same parents but do not have the same genetic traits.

xvart.

Last edited:
One thing to consider, from a genetic perspective, is that while you may have two parent plants, with the same gametes doing the contributing, the genotype is going to be slightly different, thus producing a slightly different phenotype. That was illustrated by having S. psitticina cultivars that look slightly different from one another. It's kinda like looking at a tank full of Metallic Blue guppies. You can ccfind slight differences, in spite of the inbreeding!

CP cultivars

The process for registering cultivars of various CP is the same, said process is free and relatively easy to accomplish. For official details see: Registering Cultivars, and ICRA List for CP.

Here is a link from the ISHS that gives a generic explanation of the process: Cultivar Registration Process - How to name a new cultivar - remember this page from the ISHS is generic and some differences exhist for the registration of CP cultivars.

Following is my understanding of the process from my own experiences:

1) First, I find myself growing a plant that I feel is unique and deserving of the recognition that cultivar status conveys.

2) Next, I begin propagating that plant to ensure the characteristics I believe would make it a good cultivar are reliably reproducible.

3) Next, I work at coming up with a suitable name for my new cultivar candidate. It must meet the generic rules for cultivar names and the specific rules for the class (genus) it is specific for, since it must be unique for each genus (class).

4) Then I grow a population of the propagated plants and watch them to be sure their unique characteristics are stable. I also distribute a few of the plants to other growers to get their impressions about the plants.

5) I once more check to be sure the name I have chosen has not already been used in the denomination class, then I fill out the form and submit it along with the required photograph as a standard. If the characteristics are obvious external ones, the photo must clearly show these characteristics.

6) Despite arguments to the contrary, presently CP cultivars are not required to be genetically identical (clones), though cloning is a common propagation method for cultivars and will usually produce identical clones -- this is not a guarantee that it will. CP cultivars are only required to match both the written description and photographic standard. So, hypothetically, plants using the same cultivar name, would not even need to be from the same parents. Though, if the written cultivar description is vague and the photographic standard does not clearly show the characteristics intended by the cultivar registrant, it might be more difficult to make cultivar identification as clear and certain as it should be.

--
Short note about Nepenthes, since this isn't the proper forum section for that. Nepenthes nomenclature scares me horribly. I probably don't have enough years left to make any sort of decent attempt at trying to help clear up the mess that is in. I wish all the best to those who would be brave enough to try.

Last edited:
6) Despite arguments to the contrary, presently CP cultivars are not required to be genetically identical (clones), though cloning is a common propagation method for cultivars and will usually produce identical clones -- this is not a guarantee that it will. CP cultivars are only required to match both the written description and photographic standard. So, hypothetically, plants using the same cultivar name, would not even need to be from the same parents. Though, if the written cultivar description is vague and the photographic standard does not clearly show the characteristics intended by the cultivar registrant, it might be more difficult to make cultivar identification as clear and certain as it should be.

Ahhh... Thanks Joseph. That's exactly what I was inquiring about. Thanks for the excellent explanation.

xvart.

Back