Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pollinating Pings question

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pollinating Pings question

Two of my P. lusitanica are putting up flower stalks and I think my P. primuliflora is also. With that in mind I have a few questions.
    1. are P. lusitanica and P. primuliflora self pollinating (if not, how to pollinate)
    2. can they be crossed
    3. if so, can someone post detailed instructions (preferably with pictures) on collecting and transferring the pollen for making P. lusitanica x P. primuliflora
    Thanks

P. lusitanica

P. primuliflora
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-29-2007 at 10:56 AM. Reason: plant name correction

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks xvart. So I take it from those threads that they do not self pollinate? The one thread says "Most Mexis won't self pollinate".
    Can they be hybred crossed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so after reading a lot more, my guess is they can be hybred. but for the life of me, I can't figure which parts are stamen and which part is the stigma/ovary. There is what looks like to me a good cross section of a ping flower here. Could someone label the parts and repost it here?
    Thanks.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed this sticky. There is a link in the third post with a diagram.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might wish to make note that neither of the plants you mention in this thread are Mexican Pinguicula species. Pinguicula lusitanica is predominantly European, though also known from North Africa, and Pinguicula primuliflora is from the Southeastern U.S.A. It is not likely that these two species could be successfully cross-pollinated. I don't know anyone yet, who has even been successful in crossing any of the Southeastern U.S. species with each other, and Pinguicula lusitanica self-pollinates almost as soon as their flowers are mature, they don't always open first. However, good luck, stranger things have happened.

When you view my illustration, linked below, keep in mind that once the corolla (petals) are carefully removed, most all Pinguicula flowers are constructed very much alike, though their relative proportions do vary. Also, that in this illustration the stigma is shown as if it were transparent, normally you would not be able to see through it to view the stamen beneath it.
    Illustration of Pinguicula Flower
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-29-2007 at 02:20 AM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P. lusitanica flowers profusely and self-pollinates, depositing seeds all over the place. P. primuliflora propogates best via plantlets that form on older leaves.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-29-2007 at 11:55 AM. Reason: plant name correction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph and Jim, thanks for you post. Joseph, I saw your drawing/diagram in other threads, but for the life of me, I can't match up the parts in your drawing with the cutaway picture here. Is the yellow part under the flap the stigma/ovary and if so, where are the stamen? I'm trying to compair the 2 pictures, but am obviously having problems ID'ing the parts on the real flower.
    Thanks again for your help and patience.
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast