What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping pullings: Grrrrreat success!

DrWurm

Californian in DC
So this was my first time doing ping leaf pullings. I wasn't sure if i was even pulling the right
kind of leaves, or if the pings were big enough to reproduce, but i gave it a shot. I used the
method described in "The Savage Garden." I put pure, moist vermiculite on a paper plate,
then, using forceps, took leaves from the pings i just received from Andrew and placed them
face up on the surface. Then I placed the paper plate in a large ziploc bag which i inflated so
it wouldn't rest on the leaves. I put this a couple inches under my fluorescent lights. A couple
weeks later:

Esseriana; over 100% success rate:

The bottom right leaf has about 6 different buds sprouting up. Others have 1-3 buds.
Cyclosecta; 100% success rate:

Even the highly decayed parent leaves managed to produce buds.
Rotundiflora; 100% success (of 2 leaves):

I only took 2 leaves since the parent plant is very small.

When do you guys think i should move them to a more permanent locale? Also, should i attempt to separate multiple esseriana buds?

I'd leave them since it may kill them,I do that ocassionally since my ping are 2 inches in diamter I can only take a certain amount of pullings but when I do I just take a pot then fill with leafs :D

the main leaf will eventually decompose. then that is when you can separate them! and PM me if those are from mother plants that you have. i had these 3 species but lost them last year to the great spring break drought.

Alex

DOH didnt read...well if you even have too many just look me up and ill be glad to trade!

With Mexican ping sprouts you can separate and move at any time. It's the P. primuliflora that it's best to leave the plantlets alone.

Jimscott ,I got the prefect method for pirmulfirlora plantlet production,
cool temps(70 max),lfs with perilite i a small undrained vermaic contrianer that is flooded then dried out to extreamely wet I have 10 or so plantlets now :) Well when I get home I am gonna see if all my ping pullings took..
The only thing is the mnother plant looks suicidal but 1 to alot ore is fine with me .......

That's similar to what I did with my first plant. Mine was in a drained pot and I just filled the "tray" when it was almost dry.... usaually once a week.

Back