What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few Pinguicula photos

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
01890021.jpg

P. esseriana

01890023.jpg

P. 'Pirouette'

01890022.jpg

P. "1713"

01890024.jpg

P. ehlersiae

01890025.jpg

Pinguicula moranensis x ehlersiae

01890026.jpg

P. debbertiana

Looking great! What's the growing medium there?

And where do you get those bees from too? They seem to be great as a food source.

Straight APS (Schultz's Aquatic Plant Soil), except for the P. debbertiana which is a sand/APS mix. You'd have to ask Peter (pingman) the ratio as that plant was from him.

Those are flightless fruit flies, fungus gnats and the tiny black specks are springtails. There's a squished mealybug on one leaf to!

very nice pings.

They look healthy and well-fed!

Great cultivation. Although counterintuitive, it's always sad to me to see such beautiful Pinguicula covered in bugs. They really ruin the aesthetic appearance of Pinguicula, lol.

xvart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jim, it's hard to believe the P. moranensis x ehlersiae came in one of your tiny bubble gum capsules just a few months ago. It's nearly filling the 2.5 inch pot!

I had been feeding them powdered dried bloodworm which doesn't leave as visible traces. After I bought a pot of Byblis liniflora the black springtails started peppering the leaves. My local springtails are either white or pale tan and don't seem to leave many visible traces.

Since I've started raising flightless fruit flies to feed my Sarracenia and Drosera seedlings I've begun using them on all my indoor CPs. These are somewhat "superflies" as a high percentage of them seem to be able to struggle free from the Drosera and Pinguicula. Not having wings must be an advantage in this situation. I often have to press them firmly into the goo with a toothpick or they get away.

Nice healthy looking plant. Where'd ya get the seeds? I'd love to try my hands at that plant. Looks hearty and one of those plants that looks innocent but eats bugs up :)

The P. debbertiana I got from pingman (Peter) at an LACPS meeting. The rest were from trades with Jimscott. All the plants were propagated from leaf pullings from plants that Peter and Jim accumulated over the years through trades or purchases.

You might try the New England Carnivorous Plant Society which can probably hook you up with some growers local to you. Keep your eyes open on the Trading Forum as they are usually give-aways especially come spring. Even if you have little to trade some times other arrangements can be made in private with some traders. Patience is usually the key. And there are always a few extremely kind hearted members that offer freebies to newbies. Bliss 'em all.

Back