What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

theyellowdart

sea bear returns!
Hello
I recently bought (saved actually...haha) a p. primuliflora and cobra plant from a Lowes death cube. Right now there acclimating to the humidity in my Nepenthes terrarium.
I was just wondering what I should do with the ping when dormancy time comes around. I know it's a warm temperate plant so I think the winters here in the center of NC MIGHT be a bit too cold to keep it outside all year, but I'm not sure. I plan on growing it behind a pillar on my front porch, allowing morning sun, but not direct afternoon sun.
Any suggestions?
What does everyone that lives in temperate areas do for these plants?

If growing outside just doesn't work out, I'll grow it as a windowsill plant. But how could I trigger dormancy indoors? My garage has no windows, and I don't think the temperatures in my house drop dramatically enough to make any real differance. Will shorter days be enough?
I know the answer to this question might seem obvious to some, but I've never grown a warm temperate, or any butterwort for that matter, before.
Thanks!
-Matt

They do fine right at a window sill, all year long.

I grow mine outside year round.They see temps from 20f to 100f,they grow in full sun and are exposed to frost which has not seemed to effect them.Like Jim said,they will grow well on a window sill also.

Jerry

P. primuliflora is one of the easier butterworts to grow and does not require dormancy. It will also sprout plantlets off the end of leaves... I have about 3 right now!

Good luck.

Phil

Thanks for all the help!
Phil: Even though they may not need a full fledged dormancy, I'm pretty sure that there is a slow in growth or some type of rest period where the leaves get shorter.
Thanks again.

I have a dozen or more in a round ceramic glazed pot thats shallow full of live lfs :D thats what they love wet,bright and with lots of lfs(peat works okay)

Where do you gow them and what are your growing conditions (light, etc)? Does the ceramic pot have drainage holes?
Do your's go through some kind of dormancy or slow in growth?
I'd love to see some pictures! :D
Thanks! And sorry for all the questions...

I find P. primuliflora rather a fussy plant to keep going. Too humid and it rots in front of your eyes, too arid and it dries up like disposable contact lenses.

I use a mix of aquatic plant soil and perlit with a tad of peat tossed in for water retention.

It's a real prima-donna among Pings.
62frustrated.gif

My best primuliflora was my first, before I started tinkering. I just kept it a southwest window sill in the kitchen of the lab and watered the plant from overhead, ~once a week.

Thanks everyone!
I'm going to try growing it in my south facing bedroom window.

-matt

Back