Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sick P. moctezumea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sick P. moctezumea

I have a couple of P. moctezumea that hate me. I am growing them in one of my pinguicula tanks, the temp is 85 degrees during the day and 70 degrees at night and the humidity stays at about 90-95 percent. I did maintane the humidity at 75-80 percent, but i raised it to see if it was the problem. All of the other pinguicula in the tank do great and flower all of the time.
    The P. moctezumea have very few leaves and the leaves all have brown tips, they never flower and seem to be turning yellow in color. Any body have any suggestions on what i am doing wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is your media??
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I have some P. moctezumae x kohres that I have kept at a window sill, sand & peat. Temps have fluctuated according to the season. They are exposed to the air, so they are more dry than yours are.

It has flowered and I think this is the right picture for it:

I also managed to kill the straight up moctezumae Travis sent!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try starting leaf pullings in fresh media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pinguicula moctezumae is one of the few Mexican species that never did well for me. I tried many different media, different photoperiods, different temperatures, different amounts of water, different amounts of feeding and it always just sat there.

On the other hand, the many hybrids made with P. moctezumae are hardy, vigorous, free-blooming and beautiful. My two favorites are P. 'Aphrodite' and P. gracilis x moctezumae.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The media i use is equal parts sand, vermiculite, peat, and perlite. I have used this media with all other pings i have grown and never had a problem. I use the 2" tall pots with 1/2" of water in the bottom and dont water till it is dry. All of my other pings love the conditions and thrive, but the moctezumea look worse by the day. I tried growing moctezumea several times in the past in my green house and they always lasted about a year and died. I have a few hybrids of moctezumea and they grow like weeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S,

I am just shooting from the hip here based on my past experience so I may be off base but it is worth a try. I always found that moctezumae and emarginata never seemed to do well in mixes that where high in inorganic components. To that end I grew both of them in a mix of LFS/PBM/sand with a bit of peat added. You may want to try something similar.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of the easiest species for me. I have to concur with Pyro here. Inorganics seem to slowly poison this species. I grow mine in straight up pure peat moss and I keep the water level up almost to the base of the plant. When I grew them drier they all shriveled up. Once I started growing them really wet...under my greenhouse conditions with very bright light..they exploded into huge growth. I also received tons of tc plants from Pyro and every single plant survived and many of them have flowered already. The largest plants had a leaf span of nearly 8 inches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast