User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eggshells as a growing medium mix?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to this article:

The plants are further divided into calciphilious (calcium-loving), and calciphobic (calcium-hating). P.gypsicola and P.heterophylla are examples of the former, while P. colimensis, P.cyclosecta, P.ehlersia, P.esseriana, P.moranensis, P.rotundiflora, and P. zecheri are examples of the latter. The calciphilious forms appreciate high pH media (either vermiculite based, or with an addition of limestone or gypsum to the planting mix). The calciphobic species appreciate a standard, acid CP mix like peat/sand.
    Does anybody have a list of the calciphilious speces?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not know there was a technical name for calcium loving/hating Pings. I am trying to compile a list based apon observations of wild plants. I have realized that alot of these plants naturally grow in either soil, but there are a few that will only grow in one or the other. I am going to pick Fernandos brain when i get a chance and there are a few members of this forum that could be really helpful too. To answer your question i have not found an actual list but i will make one. Ed read is another Ping Nut that has visited them in the wild, he might be another good source.... I will post my findings unless one of the Pinguicula nuts wants to chime in and save me the work

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forbes Conrad would be a good source too. He's spent some time in the field in Mexico.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently noticed that a few of my gypsicolas are having issues and are developing brown tips so I am going to repot them tonight.I ended up buying one of those bags of coral and use a coffee grinder to grind them more or less into sand.DON'T WORRY,my wife gave it to me and I didn't sneak it into the basement,LOL
    They had all been doing fine so I hope it helps to change the media.I had been using Joseph's recipe with APS,silica sand, coral sand,but basically am going to get rid of the sand and not scimp on the Root Shield and feeding the powdered bloodworms and see how that goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool -- Mark and SG -- Please Keep us posted on your findings! Im really curious as to see how your results will turn out. I think I'll pot my other mex pings up in the new batch I made last night.

NAN - thanks for the info!! Pings are awesome lil' plants man!!

BTW, how alkaline is vermiculite anyway? Just curious if it has that much of an affect on the alkalinity of the mix. I was also wondering if pumice is more or less intert and if it had any adverse affect on the alkalinity as well. Sorry for all the questions, I think the world of pings will be my next new "thing" :-)

thanks!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Pietropaulo book that has a chart of which prefer what type of pH. Only a few were listed as liking alkaline soild. The book isn't in front of me but I do remember it listing P. gypsicola and moranensis as likeing alkaline media.

I am also using freezed dried bloodworms and eventually will integrate the use of Iron Oxide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, please post the list, I have read that gypsicola likes alkaline media too but i have seen pics of it that disagree. moranensis is one that i have noticed to grow in a variety of soils too.
    I have thought about trying iron oxide....

RCO I have never tested vermiculite but i think it is relatively neutral, as for pumice the alkalinity will depend on where it is from. I got a bunch of crushed pumice from a local mine, it was a little acidic, another piece i got from my dad was very alkaline. I think the alkalinity has to do with the gasses and minerals that are trapped in it when it is formed.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used crushed coral and didn't really see any great benefit and it was so coarse and...well...I didn't like it.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast