User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eggshells as a growing medium mix?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SG - ahh, thanks for that! Hmm.. i wonder where mine is from then.. oh well. Its a commercial brand of pumice i purchased from a local hydroponics shop.

I've also wondered about that rock wool stuff... i know they use it in propagation methods n the like. As I passed by that aisle, i was like "hmm, i wonder what this would be like in a mix?" I am all for trying new stuff.

PAK, thanks for that. Idunno, the stuff I saw at the pet shop was "100% calcium carbonate"... I think i'll give a shot anywhooo - just to give it a shot. Looks like some shells n stuff that were crushed with coral fragments. Watch - a hermit crab pop outta there and get stuck on one of my pings... LOL

Jim, if you have that list available, that would be awesome!! I'd like to see it to0p, if you had time to post it... very interesting!!!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't a big list for those he had categoraized as alkaline, but when I can get book and computer in the same room I'll write them down

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only Mexicans listed as liking alkaline media, aside from gypsicola & moranensis were oblongiloba and macrophylla. And even then, they were also listed as liking acidic soil. I guess they're pretty tolerant of pH. Other than Mexicans, also listed are: balcanica, grandiflora, leptoceras, macroceras, vallisnerifolia, and vulgaris.

What I didn't like reading was that they had the media as being inverted to what I have. I have the white stuff on top of LFS and they have it reversed. Perhaps I made a mistake?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    What I didn't like reading was that they had the media as being inverted to what I have. I have the white stuff on top of LFS and they have it reversed. Perhaps I made a mistake?
    Who knows? Maybe it will turn out you've got it right - at least for your situation.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no such thing as mistakes when it comes to science, they are called learning experiences and conclusions. I have really been trying to pin down which Pings Like which media and it seems that every Ping has an exception. I was asking a friend who just got back from a few P. heterophylla sites, he said they were all on alkaline soil except at one location. In my mind that means that they will grow in both.... I am now totally confused. I think i am going to have to go to mexico and find out for my self.
    Any one up for a road trip?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I perceived it explained to me is that the lower layer of LFS is designed to provide moisture to the roots, while the top layer of perlite, etc... is designed to provide drainage. At least that seemed logical to me. Does that seem reasonable? Hey. they didn't react to the new conditions.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only really used long fiber sphagnum and perlite on the bottom of pots to keep the mix from going out the drain holes.

If I fill a pot with only live Sphagnum moss I'll put a layer of perlite on the bottom. The very first Venus Flytrap I had came potted this way and if it worked for the 10+ years I had the plant why not repeat a winning combination. If pushed for a reason why I'll and say "drainage?"

Joseph is the grand master of layering and sandwiching media types. Perhaps if he has the time he'll share his thoughts and experiences in this regards.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a very good place for calcium. I give them to my hermit crabs all the time because it helps them harden their exo skeletons after molting.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast