What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone brave enough to put Mexican pings outside?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I have had bad luck or skill doing this. They either get drowned by a signiicant rain storm and rot to death or shrivel into nothingness. Can anyone suggest a way to safely keep them outside for the growing season?

How about putting them underneath an awning? They won't get drowned by the rain or burned by the sun.

P. (Yucca Do 1713)
IMG_0584.JPG

P. primuliflora, its flower has since opened completely.
IMG_0575.JPG

both are outside in a 3 gallon circulating mini bog, they receive full sun from about 10AM - 6PM and they're both doing quite good compared to when they were in their own pots outside. they are sort of under the edge of the roof where the bog wont get rained on but still receives full sun, and i dont top water.

i wasnt brave, i just didnt know better but it turned out ok for me so far. weather hasnt hit its extreme highs yet, but i imaging they wont do so great then.

~b

a couple of mine lived on the back step last summer......they were shaded from about 11:30 to 1:30 or 2 and other than that they were in full sun........course i didnt have to worry bout a rain storm drowning them but they took 100-110* air temps every day for 5 days sitting on the cement step in their tray in black pots in 5-10% humidity.......the heat never phased them.....one was P. gigantea, the others were hybrids i believe.......however my D. binatas fried down to the roots and didnt come back till the fall.........

I put a agnata, moranensis G, potosiensis, esseriana, and a handfull of unknowns in my bog. I cant really say how they are going to do long term but they all have really good color and a couple of them are blooming. I put them beside a claw foot bathtub that is heated and used as a turtle pond, i figure the thermal mass will keep the pings a little warmer in the winter. they have only been out side for a few mnths so far. I give them a 50/50 chance of surviving.

I like the awning approach... just don't have one in this apartment. I'll have to come up with an artificial sun and rain block.

I bought me a cheap coldframe that I am keeping my macroceras and grandiflora pings in to keep the stinking birds,treerats, and heavy rain from trashing them. I do have quite a few Mexican ping plantlets I may take out and try out there and see how they do.
Mark W.

the man on here who sent my sethos to me awhile ago grew all of his stuff outside. as long as the pot has good drainage (since mexican pings are best in soil with great drainage, I.E peat.perlite.vemiculite)outside should be no problem.

...I'm not even brave enough to put a drosera out doors.

All that I place outside are Sarrs and VFT's.

If you don't mind the way it looks, you could make one yourself out of a tarp and some pvc.

I'm curious to try this, as well as putting some other so-called 'fragile' plants outdoors for the warm season (I especially want to try a Ceph if I can get some clones going from my first one.) I have a big sheet of translucent white plastic that I was going to cut into a little roof for one of my outdoor tables so that I could control the rainfall.
~Joe

PS - You can rig a roof over something for really cheap using aluminum electrical conduit if you have a pipe bender ($15-$30.) 100' of conduit is like $50 or less and you could build a whole greenhouse-sized cold frame with that much. I use it with chickenwire to keep critters out of my VFTs but it could just as easily work with plexiglass or translucent film.

Don't laugh... I was tossing a couple bags of garbage out to our complex dumpster and saw that someone tossed a meshed thingy with legs. I might just fish it out later!

Heh, we all do what we've gotta do... I know I've been there. :D
~Joe

Thanks for the link. That's going to be ~$100. I'll have to come up with something a lot closer to free.

ugh! i meant that you could use this as a reference to build something...gotta love diy projects :)

one mans trash is another mans treasure. if you can get it for free, legally, then save your money to more cps!

~b

Back