What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yay!/ Uh oh!

I noticed that my P. primuliflora is starting to make a plantet on a leaf, yay!:
SN851123.jpg

But the bad news is...is that I'm pretty sure it's infested with Fungus gnats, here, it's snacking on 5 gnats, but a new leaf has a brown mark. Should I repot just in case? (plus, food always mold on my primuliflora, so I'm thinking of putting it out of the tank at night, then in for day, should this work?):
SN851124.jpg

Just leave it be and see how the next few leaves come out. If you repot every time you get blemish on a leaf there won't be enough peat moss in the world to keep you covered.

Repotting will just mean it will be reinfested with fungus gnats in a couple weeks unless you take steps to prevent them from laying eggs in the media. Either enclose the plants in screen cages or mulch the soil with at least .5 inch of sand. Treat the media with BTi (active ingredient of Mosquito Dunks) if you want to control them.

Just leave it be and see how the next few leaves come out. If you repot every time you get blemish on a leaf there won't be enough peat moss in the world to keep you covered.

Repotting will just mean it will be reinfested with fungus gnats in a couple weeks unless you take steps to prevent them from laying eggs in the media. Either enclose the plants in screen cages or mulch the soil with at least .5 inch of sand. Treat the media with BTi (active ingredient of Mosquito Dunks) if you want to control them.

What pesticides are good for fungus gnats that won't harm it or the plant around it?

Should I try Orthene or Malathion? Do they need to be diluted?

Last edited by a moderator:
But Orthene and Malathion are not specified for treatment of fungus gnats. Read the citation I linked previously for what chemicals are specified for fungus gnats.

Fungus gnats are due to excessive moisture in the media.( This is according to my Hort teacher a few years back). In my experience,they actually don't do too much harm except for baby nepenthes . I put a P. moranenesis in each of my nepenthes seedling trays and the ping seems to catch the gnats before they can do harm.Well it is actually the larvae stage of the gnat that does the harm.
Lois

Back