What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a Mexican butterwort to grow under my lamp

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
So, I'm in the market for a butterwort. I'm leaving for my college dorm in August, and I would like a butterwort to grow under my lamp (my N. Ventricosa is growing extremely well under it). However, my Nepenthes is getting too big, so I would like a nice butterwort, perferably Mexican. Any suggestions? If so, where can I buy them?

While we are on the subject, I remember reading that some Mexican butterworts lift out of the ground when their summer leaves curl down. Which ones do this so I can avoid them.

Well, if you want something that will get big try gigantea. If you want a more medium sized plant then agnata is pretty indestructible. You could also try moranensis, since its pretty easy too. Agnata and moranensis can be bought just about anywhere (flytrapshop.com), and aren't to expensive, so one of them might be your best bet. The only ping I've ever had lift itself out of the ground is esseriana, but I think it likely similar plants, like yucca do 1713 for instance, might have the same problem. Not that it is a big deal, just peel off the bottom couple of layers of leaves, stick the plant back into the dirt and it will be fine.

Yeah, I'm thinking of a P. Moranesis. I just e-mailed someone to see if they have a wider selection. They said they'll e-mail me in a few days, and then I'll see what I can buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, it looks like I will be buying P. "Sethos"

PSethos.jpg

Is this a fairly easy plant? Also, any idea how big it will get?

Back