What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pollinating P. gypsicola

glider14

Always a newbie
hey guys. any of you ping "experts" know if P. gypsicola is self fertile? the flower on mine finally opened and if it is fertile ill get seeds. otherwise ill sit back and look at how beautiful it is =]

Thanks
Alex

I am far from being able to give advice on hand pollinating, so I'll let the experts handle this one. However, I'm better off providing guidance with leaf pullings, in case you want o try that method.

This was the blurry result of a dry paper towel sandwich of leaves, as per adapting to Joseph Clemens advice:

IMG_0474.jpg

Something like 8 out of 9 leaves sprouted in a few weeks.

Hi,
I also had one of my gypsicolas flower and ended up pollinating it.It is now developing a seed pod so I'd say yes it can be self-pollinated. I have about 4 more about to flower and will do the same thing and let you all know if it works out.
Mark W

I have used a tiny tipped paint brush to pollinate P . gypsicola before.

I used a flat toothpick marked on the end with a black marker.My main concern now is we are going to leave on vacation next Sunday for a week.Is there a way to put something under the seedpod incase it erupts before I get back?

Put a plastic cup or Tupperware under it.

Well, I made it back about a week ago and came home to see the gypsicolas seedpod gone.Anyway, 4 more of them have flowered and I pollinated them and have more seedpods developing so hopefully I will get some seeds to grow.

Back