What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My First Ping

kath

Katherine
A few pictures of my first ping - pinguicula ehlersae ( is that how you spell it?)
It's on my windowsill - does it look happy?
I think I'm growing it right.

It's not very big... is that normal? Will it grow bigger? ???
myfirstpingActualSize.jpg

A close-up...:0o:
myfirstpingPEherlesaesideon-1.jpg

Side-on:
myfirstpingclose-upfromside.jpg

Can anyone give me tips on growing it right? Does it look happy?
Thanks!

it looks like all pings do when they are new.
give it a couple months and it will look like the ones on the far bottom right
CPs6-29-08001.jpg

Wow! Yours is so much bigger! How do you grow yours?

the two in the far bottom right have the diameter of maybe a silver dollar.
i grow em in my terrarium lol.
4 24" 20w fluorescent tubes, 2 daylight, 2 soft or cool white, cant remember which lol.

Oh. Is my North (equivalent to south facing window in US) enough light? It's currenlty getting its 'dormancy' or cool period or somethin glike that. It's going through winter time. It gets cool temps, but no frost. Lots of humidity, lots of sun, not much water, not much heat. Does this sound right?
How big is a silver dollar? My ping is about 1.5 cm diameter, or around 1/2 an inch. How much more will it grow?

What are those reddish things that look like chestnuts? Technically, it's P. ehleresiae. But I won't tell if you won't !

given your window is warm enough, it will stop producing winter leaves in a couple weeks. mine went from its winter leaf stage to its full summer rosette in a couple weeks after i received them.

Jim, the chestnut looking things look like hydroton to me, that is the clay balls i have talked about using in my Ping media.
Kath, Your plant looks healthy, it should do fine in your window. When it starts to form its carnivorous winter rosette it will be up to 1/3 larger than its current size. A silver dollar is about 1 1/2 inches, your plant could get that big but most likely it will be about an inch in diameter. you can take leaf pullings from it and plant more to fill the pot, they look really nice in groups.

Clay, as in containing Iron, as a supplement?

Back