Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P. Primuliflora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for some reason this ping seems suicidal for me... it always does really well, then the surface gets mold? no other pot in my tank ever gets it only this particular ping... its wierd... then i treat it and it does okay still... then it'll flower and be awesome and then immediately after flowering die. for no reason. I thought the first time I had a primuliflora that I just messed up since it was my 1st ping, yet heres my second time around and much more experienced and yet it did it AGAIN! haha this time I have 4 or 5 plantlets that formed off the leaves before it kicked the bucket...

any ideas guys? I'm no ping expert....

the media is just what it came in, its a peat mix. seems pretty heavy compared to what most use but I'm scared to repot this thing since its fickle with me haha
    temps are between 75-80 at night, 80-85 daytime, always between 70-85% humidity day and 80-90% at night

I'm up for any hints

Chris

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it seems to work best to only water them when they are just about out of water. Maybe tweak the lighting a bit more.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one and only ping I have is from the lowes cube too. It had mutliplied to probably 20 - 30 leaflets and plants of which I distributed many away. Based on experience...

This plant LOVES high humidity.
    It grew best in live sphagnum moss
    It has very very shallow root structure. Make sure that the roots are well potted in. THe plant hates to get dry. The only plant I ever lost was when I forgot to water a small container and it basically dried to crisp.
    So media...either live sphagnum or good peat/perlite media...but most important is still high humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the plant inside with high humidity but found out that it not a tropical plant. I've since put it outside in dappled sun and it seems to be responding well. From what I understand it needs cold temperatures for its winter rest but that it does not go totally dormant. I live where the winter nights will become too cold for it. Has anyone else gone through this problem? I would welcome any ideas you all might have for keeping it just above freezing and in the sunlight too when the outside temperature where I live is 15 degrees. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15 F is too cold for it. It is indeed a temperate plant. I think it actually comes from our Southeast, like the Panhandle of Florida. If you have an attic with windows, where it can get into the 40's during the winter, that could simulate a change of seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to be a tough one for me. I'm thinking about putting it into the car at night when the weather gets too cold and leting y husband take it to work with him. He can periodically start the car and run the heater so tht it doesn't freeze. I gues I could install a grow light in the refridgerator for it. Would anyone know why it has suddenly started to grow short, pointy leaves? They curl up a bit on the sides, as well. They've formed a perfect rosette outside. It's just really weird.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What some people do is put their temperate plants in the fridge for the winter. I've done that! Basically, you keep them outside until the fall, until the outside temps approximate that of a fridge. And then you put them in the fridge. The car and heater thing is way too complicated and.... and... cumbersome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's ridiculous. I read that this plant never goes dormant and that it needs some light during the winter. I would love to see a picture of one successfully grown and to know just how it's done.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast