Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P. Primuliflora

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People have differing definitions and phraseology when it comes to the resting time for temperate plants. Mine did well at a south window in my attic, when I had one. They just responded to the cues of increasing light and temps, naturally. I also had VFT's in a butter keeper and all manner of temperate plants in another fridge. It didn't seem to matter whether a light was on or not... although the attic was probably a better choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant would be fine if I could sit it on the windowsill with my orchids. The winter temp runs between 50 and 60 degrees. I think this is too warm for it, though. I had the poor little thing outside close to the house. A storm came and there were maple seeds in the rain gutter The water came out the sides of the gutter and almost washed the plant out of the pot. I had to repot two Sarracenias, one VFP, and the Ping. That por little guy is down to about three leaves now. I think it'll come back, though. thanks for the reply.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    40-50 F would be better but if you talk to Southern California hobbyists, as long as the photoperiod accommodates, that would be sufficient. What you going is great for pygmy sundews and Mexican pings!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am amazed that this Ping is such a fighter. It nearly lost all its leaves when it's pot was flooded in the storm. Only the center of the leaves is green, and they're staying green!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're very fortunate that the center is still green. A couple years ago my collection was flooded out. That resulted in many leaves being scattered; plants up rooted and ID's being lost; and a lot of plants experiencing that black crown pheomenon (death). Had to replace nearly every plant in the collection. Now I keep my pings under a table or chair, where they get dappled sunlight and very little direct rain. They still color up but are removed from the environmental disasters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to say it but I think I'm losing it. The green area seems to be shrinking and now there appears to be only one small leaf that is still green. I don't think I'll get another one. I have three Ping moranensis and one Ping agnata inside that are doing well. I've seen photos of beautiful Pings on this website and I'd love to know where people buy them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got mine from a variety of forum members, over the past few years, and have regularly taken leaf cuttings to be part of future trades and "newbie packages". The Mexican pings are characteristically easier than our N.A. temperate types. P. primuliflora can be rather enigmatic, but a good specimen is pretty easy to keep going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess though, as you pointed out, we newbies should confine our collection to the easist Carnivores to grow, at least until we gain more experience. Thanks for all your help.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast