What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. Primuliflora

Ibought a Ping from Lowes and it is most likely this one. I've managed to get it out of the plastic box and to have it growing without a lid or plastic bag over it. Are there any tips you all can give me concerning its care? I heard it's a little tempramental. I'm growing it indoors in flourescent and natural light. It's growing in a mixture of sphagnum moss and pearlite. My humidity runs between 60 and 80%. The leaves on the plant are light green. I haven't found any posts on it so hopefully someone else here grows this one. Hope to hear from you all soon.:boogie:

This is an easy and enigmatic plant. My best success with this one was to put it in a relatively deep and wide plastic pot, in a plastic container, at a south sill. I watered from overhead whenever the water was almost out.

Thanks for the replies. No, I haven't found the search button. I'm really pretty new to forums too. I would love to see a large plant. Do either of you have one you can show me?

Let it grow in high humidity for a bit and then gradually wean it off. Although with high humidity, I tend to notice the leaves are more delicate, but bigger. With low humidity, they are tougher and more curvy. I grow mine outdoors in half-peat half-sphagnum in Houston (100+ degrees) between pots of tall pitcher plants, always 1/3 of the way submerged or more. And theyr'e spreading like weeds. They seem to like the water as long as it's not stagnant. They can burn easily if not adjusted to full-sun and also rot easily if not accustomed to frequent watering.

I grow my Pings under artificial light. The Ping in question has been growing short, narrow leaves. I was wondering if this is a sign of too much or too little light. It's holding its own. I cut all the dead leaves off of it and I have it sitting in a small bowl containig distilled water. Any insight concerning the leaves will be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0475.jpg

They could usa a deep and wide pot. Water once or twice a week, when it's almost empty. You can trim the dead material.

I'm growing it in a three inch plastic pot. It really is very small. I can put it in a four inch, if necessary. I guess if it's growing something must be right that I'm doing. I have a P. moranensis that seems to be doing well. That plant came with a flower bud but I don't think it's going to bloom. Thanks for the reply.

for some reason this ping seems suicidal for me... it always does really well, then the surface gets mold? no other pot in my tank ever gets it only this particular ping... its wierd... then i treat it and it does okay still... then it'll flower and be awesome and then immediately after flowering die. for no reason. I thought the first time I had a primuliflora that I just messed up since it was my 1st ping, yet heres my second time around and much more experienced and yet it did it AGAIN! haha this time I have 4 or 5 plantlets that formed off the leaves before it kicked the bucket...

any ideas guys? I'm no ping expert....

the media is just what it came in, its a peat mix. seems pretty heavy compared to what most use but I'm scared to repot this thing since its fickle with me haha
temps are between 75-80 at night, 80-85 daytime, always between 70-85% humidity day and 80-90% at night

I'm up for any hints

Chris

For me it seems to work best to only water them when they are just about out of water. Maybe tweak the lighting a bit more.

The one and only ping I have is from the lowes cube too. It had mutliplied to probably 20 - 30 leaflets and plants of which I distributed many away. Based on experience...

This plant LOVES high humidity.
It grew best in live sphagnum moss
It has very very shallow root structure. Make sure that the roots are well potted in. THe plant hates to get dry. The only plant I ever lost was when I forgot to water a small container and it basically dried to crisp.
So media...either live sphagnum or good peat/perlite media...but most important is still high humidity.

I had the plant inside with high humidity but found out that it not a tropical plant. I've since put it outside in dappled sun and it seems to be responding well. From what I understand it needs cold temperatures for its winter rest but that it does not go totally dormant. I live where the winter nights will become too cold for it. Has anyone else gone through this problem? I would welcome any ideas you all might have for keeping it just above freezing and in the sunlight too when the outside temperature where I live is 15 degrees. Thanks for the help, everyone.

15 F is too cold for it. It is indeed a temperate plant. I think it actually comes from our Southeast, like the Panhandle of Florida. If you have an attic with windows, where it can get into the 40's during the winter, that could simulate a change of seasons.

This is going to be a tough one for me. I'm thinking about putting it into the car at night when the weather gets too cold and leting y husband take it to work with him. He can periodically start the car and run the heater so tht it doesn't freeze. I gues I could install a grow light in the refridgerator for it. Would anyone know why it has suddenly started to grow short, pointy leaves? They curl up a bit on the sides, as well. They've formed a perfect rosette outside. It's just really weird.

What some people do is put their temperate plants in the fridge for the winter. I've done that! Basically, you keep them outside until the fall, until the outside temps approximate that of a fridge. And then you put them in the fridge. The car and heater thing is way too complicated and.... and... cumbersome!

I know it's ridiculous. I read that this plant never goes dormant and that it needs some light during the winter. I would love to see a picture of one successfully grown and to know just how it's done.

People have differing definitions and phraseology when it comes to the resting time for temperate plants. Mine did well at a south window in my attic, when I had one. They just responded to the cues of increasing light and temps, naturally. I also had VFT's in a butter keeper and all manner of temperate plants in another fridge. It didn't seem to matter whether a light was on or not... although the attic was probably a better choice.

The plant would be fine if I could sit it on the windowsill with my orchids. The winter temp runs between 50 and 60 degrees. I think this is too warm for it, though. I had the poor little thing outside close to the house. A storm came and there were maple seeds in the rain gutter The water came out the sides of the gutter and almost washed the plant out of the pot. I had to repot two Sarracenias, one VFP, and the Ping. That por little guy is down to about three leaves now. I think it'll come back, though. thanks for the reply.

40-50 F would be better but if you talk to Southern California hobbyists, as long as the photoperiod accommodates, that would be sufficient. What you going is great for pygmy sundews and Mexican pings!

I am amazed that this Ping is such a fighter. It nearly lost all its leaves when it's pot was flooded in the storm. Only the center of the leaves is green, and they're staying green!

Back