What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

butterwort and sundew replant questions

i was wondering, can u put a baby sundew madagascariensis( or something that is similar to it) and a recovering ping agnata n the same pot?

i still have the dome on the ping for humidity i think it helps the ping and keeps away big bugs from eating it

is it ok to use just sphagum? or do i mix sphagum and peat together?

and if its ok to put them together n the same pot, can i still leave the dome on top?

also can someone post pics of adelae leaves that are fried, dead, or dormant?
cuz i dont know if my adelae is alive or not

thanks

mexican pings like an airy mix that is mostly inorganic. so putting the two in the same pot isnt a very good idea. take the humidity dome off the ping. it may rot it.

with your adelae. even if the mother plant is dead. the roots are very likely still alive. baby plants will come up from the roots. just keep watering it normally =]

Alex

yea i know i should take the dome off but im scared of bugs comin n especially aphids
what kind of sphagnum do u recommend for the ping, and the two different sundews?
can u get sphagnum from places like home depot?

thanks for replying back alex

i have grown CPs for almost 4 years and have only had one aphid problem. and it lasted a whole 2 days =] and it was outdoors on a Sarracenia. you dont need to worry. aphids can be fixed. a rotten plant cant.

for my mexican pings i use a mix of 1:1 perlite and vermiculite. you can find them both at any garden center (peat too)

for the sundews. for spatulata i used a mix of peat and perlite. simple mixture. for adelae i have had success with both pure LFS(sphagnum moss) and a 2:1 mix of perlite and peat moss. i know you can find LFS at Lowe's its sold as "Orchid Moss"

Alex

Ok for the Pings use a 1:1:1 peat/perlite/vermiculite, thats what i use and my pings thrive in it. as for the Drosera, as glider pointed out 2:1 mix of perlite and peat does well. LFS usually sold at garden centers is covered in all sorts of neutrients...uhg i prefer growing my own Live LFS
grows fast, looks great in most every CP pot, and can be used as growing medium.

wats 1:1:1? and 2:1?
actually ive seen some pics of a lot of sundews on the forums and now i dont know what it is
does 2:1 perlite and peat work for all sundews?
can i get all of those in home depot or lowes?
is there nutrients in orchid moss?
im sorry im such a noob
thanks for replying

1:1:1 ect refers to the proportions. (ie. 1:1:1 could refer to 1 portion of each) so if i say 2:1 mix of perlite and peat. im saying for every two parts of perlite there is one part peat. that mix will work for pretty much every sundew. there is a small handful that would do better in other mediums but those are somewhat harder to find and cultivate. i know you can get peat, perlite and vermiculite at Home Depot. i havent seen LFS at HD though. "Orchid Moss" is LFS(long fibered sphagnum) just sold under a different name. it has no nutrients infact peat moss is only decomposed LFS. so they are the same material.

Alex

sooo that 1:1:1 thing is just small handfuls?

sooo that 1:1:1 thing is just small handfuls?

It would be one equal handful of each; or one gallon of each; or ten gallons of each; or one liter of each. The actual amount doesn't matter, but the ratio means roughly equal amounts.

For 2:1 it would be 2 handfuls of one and 1 handful of the other; Or 2 gallons of one and 1 gallon of the other; etc.

xvart.

LOL! I get stray sundews popping up in ping pots and D. mad... isn't a very sensitive plant. Pings tend to want an airier mix than sundews, but with what you are talking about, it isn't that critical. Accommodate the ping and the sundew will be fine.

well i transplanted the butterwort using hopefully what i think is 1:1 peat and perlite and it was pretty easy, it barely had any roots.
the sundew however, was a pain. as i lifted up the plant, it seems that the pot was filled with roots and all of the sundews that were on top of the soil were actually all connected to each other. it looked as if the adelae was growin on the same root as the madagascariensis
i tried to get all of the roots out safely, but i ended up breaking all of them
so now i have transplanted pots of a butterwort and a single sundew and three sundews
i hope they all survive

Back