Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Saving Primuliflora

animal lover, aquarium and CP enthusiast MidnightSkies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saving Primuliflora

I got my first Ping from Lowes today and I'm guessing it to be a Primuliflora. It's in pretty bad shape. It was out of the soil and sitting completely on the piece of plastic, and looked like it had no roots. A few of the leaves turned were brown and dead But the rest were still green and there are new leaves in the center that I'm hoping will keep growing. It's VERY small. I'm new to Pings and I've been finding a lot of conflicting information. Considering it has little to no roots should I leave the pot sitting in a small amount of water? And would it be best to keep it in the cube with the top off or slightly off until it hopefully roots iteslf or one of the old leaves possibly starts growing a new plant? And if this plant survives will it need a dormancy with my flytrap and pitcher? Any tips on bringing this plant back would be more than helpful.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would put the plant in a regular plastic pot, with drainage holes. Buy long fibered sphagnum for soil. Place pot in a plastic container and fill with distilled water. Place at a window sill. Allow the water to evaporate until dry before adding more water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was dificult for me to aclimate my plant to my humidity when I took it out of the cube. You may want to cover the plant with a plastic cup when you remove it from the cube. This particular Ping is not tropical. It likes to be outside in dappled sun. It likes to be a quick drying mix, which is sphagnum moss with a lot of perlite mixed in. Good luck with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I meant sphagnum peat moss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you want to do is keep it from full sun(filtered light),keep it wet if you have it
    in Sphagnum moss and perilite if you use peat moss and perilite keep it wet but not
    sopping like you would if you used sphagnum moss. These guys enjoy lower levels of light
    and open wet media and don't like lower humidity that much. To keep up the humidity keep
    the water level constant(keep the tray full). If your hot out keep the water level lower not the
    usual sopping wet(if you use Sphagnum moss).
    That will prevent rot and other things I experienced when I had CPs in hawaii.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This did well just sitting at a window sill. It ran a string of 8 consecutive flowers before giving it a rest.