Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mexican Pings Outside Getting Some Color

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one conatiner has been outside, under a chair for about a month. The smaller container only a week. Even under a chair, so they don't burn, they get enough dappled / indirect sunlight to turn them pink. I hesitate to have them fully exposed because a good rain will likely scatter and rot them, as happened once before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i suck at growing Mexican Pings...i've decided. Give me any Ping from the US or hahah Lowes and I can turn it into a weed.

But the mexican pings I always get either....brown from the edges until the entire plant dies, or drop leaves until only a tiny center nubbin is left. If i water them, they rot. If I don't, they go dormant...and i wait for almost a year for them to wake up. Go fig.

Even my P. 'Titan' is more like (P. 'Tiny') compared to when how it looked when it first arrived.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-17-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, you have the exact opposite experience as do most of us. I can't grow the N.A. types, except for P. primuliflora.

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

What soil mix do you use for your Mexican Pings? Their looking great!
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    — Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What hybrid is that in the second photo, top left corner?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vic: That was a mix of Perlite, eggshells, and crushed coral, on top of a little LFS.

Warren: That is P. moctezumae x [Köhres].

That setup did very well when I had it outside under a couple of chairs. I decided to chance them exposed and that's when they almost all died out. I don't know if it was too much rain or drying out or nematodes. Outside living just doesn't work for them for me. Hence needing to replace many of them. Eventually I will request more replacements as a trade or postage.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-17-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12